Solved: Win2000 updates fail to install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n4syth

I have a computer here that is seriously infected with spyware and trojans which I am trying to clean....
One of the steps I use in the cleaning is to ensure that all updates are current, to help 'close the window' on some of these irritants...
When I attempt to install the updates (12 criticals) they download but installation fails.... Log shows that no updates have installed since April.
Have encountered this with XP in the past but not with 2000.
Can't find help on Microsoft site.

Any ideas???

Your best bet is to get rid of all the spyware, viri, and trojans before trying the updates. The updates will not fix any of the problems already there. Use some of the freeware programs like AVG, AdAware, SpyBot, Windows Defender, ASquared, Ewido, and others. An online virus scan wouldn't hurt either. You may want to slip over to the Security forum and read up on some of the fixes. Good luck.

If you are seriously infected with spyware and trojans they need to be cleaned up before you worry about the updates.

You should click on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of the message box and ask a moderator to move your thread to security where one of the software guru's can have post a HijackThis log and they can direct you as to what utilities you should download and install to clean the machine. They will walk you through the cleanup process.

n4syth

I have followed the 'system' of spyware removal as outlined in the Security Forum and have removed over 300 problems and many of the listed scans are clean, however a few 'nasties' are reinstalling AND one is allowing pop-ups..... I know that the spyware needs to be removed but updates are an important part of the cleaning process... I was hoping that the updates might help with the final cleaning. Guess I'll just hold off on that till it's 'clean' and then post back here.....

n4syth

Got it clean and updates did indeed install...
Thanks for the 'shoulda done that' advice!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online