1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win2003 Server - shared printing not longer working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scooby_steve, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I was at a site where printers were setup and shared on a Win 2003 Server. The HDD on the server crashed and the HDD was ghosted to another drive.

The only problem is now i cant print to any of the shares on the server from any of the workstations. However, printing from the server to the printers are all ok. I've deleted the printers on the workstations and re-added them and it still will not work.

I do noticed that the jobs are sent from the workstation to the server queue (can see the job pop up in the queue box of both workstation and server) and then disappears like all is okay but i dont get a printout.

I've tried installing a new copy of the driver (replacing the drivers not keeping the existing drivers) and still no good.

I can however print from the server to the same share off a workstation without a problem.

Any help would be great.

Regards

steve

2. GentsBabe

GentsBabe

This may be a dumb question but have you made sure that the printer is listed as shared? We only have a home network of 3 computers, but I would guess the basics would be the same as a work station.

Don't know if this will help you or not, just a thought I had. And as things go, it's always the little things that escape us.... and that's right up there with... is the printer plugged in? Turned on? LOL Have all the cables been checked?

I'm also guessing that the computers that can't print aren't getting any sort of error message? I'm probably not helping you one iota, but maybe it'll make you think of something you hadn't thought of previously.

3. downtime

downtime

Pick one machine, and go to that account on the server, and change the password, but type in the same password again. Then see if you can print from that machine to the server. I've seen the same problem, sometimes it's shares they can't access, sometimes printers. If that doesn't work, remove the printer on the server, reinstall it and set it as shared again.

4. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your inputs... I found the reason... The driver provided on the product CD was faulty, the first download of the Driver from the website was faulty and then finally when i removed that printer from my PC and then re-downloaded another instance of the driver and installed it, it worked.

so thanks again guys...

5. GentsBabe

GentsBabe

Yaaay!! Glad it's all worked out now :) :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice