1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WIN2K [email protected] Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ericj, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ericj

ericj Thread Starter

Hi! Hope someone can help.....
    Turned laptop, dell d800, on this morning. System reached black screen with white lettering message "Starting Windows" and had a progress bar across the bottom. The progress bar reaches about half way and stops. No hard drive light activity. I let it stand for 20 minutes without any change. CAPS and NUMLOCK do not respond. Ctrl+Alt+Del do not respond. Only way to get out of this is to power down. I tried booting to safe mode and while loading files system hung at "DISKPERF". Again everything stopped responding. Tried last known good config and still no change, system hung. Reseated RAM and HDD. No change. Was able to boot off a utility disk so I can image my drive to a server in order to keep data intact. Once image is created I believe I will run check disk /r. Any other suggestions? I really would like to avoid just reloading this unit. Please help!! Thanks!

2. Kromos

Kromos

have you tried a system recovery ?

3. ericj

ericj Thread Starter

I wanted to get the image created first so my data will be recoverable. Good suggestion. I will try that. I was hoping that maybe there was somebody out there who has encountered the same situation. I can't spend too much time on this. But I did want to try to avoid reloading it. Thanks! I'll let you now how things went.

4. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Hi,
    From what I've seen, DISKPERF is a performance logging utility for Windows 2000, Microsoft says that it may hang and that it was fixed beginning from Windows 2000 SP2, if you can find the Windows 2000 CD, do a repair install and then immediately install the latest Windows 2000 Service Pack available....

Here's the DISKPERF crash article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;278662

Download Windows 2000 SP4 from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/download.asp

You may wish to slipstream SP4 with you W2K CD, in such case download the 130MB Network installer...

Hope any of that helps...

5. ericj

ericj Thread Starter

well - tried suggestions and many other suggestions and ideas, all failed. I needed to get back in to the OS primarily so I could document specific network settings. The closest I came was by completing a chkdsk/r followed by the repair utility. Replaced system files with default files. This of course was not the way to go because it basically began a new install once the unit was restarted which meant I also lost the specific network settings. Fortunately I had cloned the drive before all this and was able to restore the OS back to the drive, however that meant also restoring the corruption, still preventing me from entering the OS. Final solution; wiped and reloaded. HDD does not appear damaged. Reason for OS corruption, unknown. Thanks everyone for the effort!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice