1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win7 64 shuts down unexpectedly - Help please

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bille1, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bille1

Bille1 Thread Starter

Win7 64 bit OEM, ASUS P6T MB (Not Over clocked) with 6GB Ram, bought from computer store who built computer, I have had about 4 shut downs with the following reported on boot up;

NOTE: It has never happened while I'm sitting at computer.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 9f
    BCP1: 0000000000000003
    BCP2: FFFFFA80062E4A20
    BCP3: FFFFF80000B9C518
    BCP4: FFFFFA8008CBBCC0
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\021110-15990-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-51449-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

The only difference in the last 2 reports are

BCP2: FFFFFA80062E5060
    BCP4: FFFFFA800009C518

C:\Windows\Minidump\021110-16177-01.dmp

C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-46519-0.sysdata.xml

Any help appreciated as I haven't a clue what any of this really means so don't want to screw everything up by trying to guess a fix.

2. Sponsor

3. joeten

joeten

Hi plese go to C:\windows\minidump\021110-16177-01.dmp and copy it to a folder then right click and choose send to compressed zip option,next attach it to your next post use the go advanced button on the thread page then use the paperclip to attach to your post someone here can run it through a debug and try to help track down the issue.
    This is a bit of info on the error code but a debug should tell us more

0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    (Click to consult the online <A class=rk href="http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ulhr.asp" target=_blank>Win XP Resource Kit article.)
    A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

Info found here http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does it shutdown cold -- or just restart and give that message? Usually cold shutdowns are motherboard related, sometimes overheating.

Has the problem always existed, or is there a definite beginning date? >> http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-reliability-monitor/

But the "Power State" error is often associated with attached devices -- such as drives and adapters and these tend to occur during idle, sleep or on resume.

What devices are attached to the system?

Do upload the minidump as there may be a clue in the driver or module information there

5. Bille1

Bille1 Thread Starter

Joeten & Rollin' Rog thanks for the replies had to go away for the day so didn't have a lot of time to get back here.

I'm starting to address your answers; I have attached the Minidump that Joeten requested. View attachment Minidump.zip

Rollin' Rog; when I return to the computer it is completely shut down and has to re started, I have had a Powered USB HDD attached but turned off at the caddy, and a USB Kyocera Printer attached.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The fault seems to be occurring in a RealTek NIC driver, but with Zone Alarm installed -- it could be the underlying cause as I have seen ZA associated with a number of networking related and 9F faults.

I would look for an updated Realtek NIC driver and if that doesn't help, or nothing more recent is available -- uninstall ZA

Similar issue here >> http://social.technet.microsoft.com...f/thread/7503b92e-7977-45b2-9386-6ba5e04fcef1

Attached Files:

7. Bille1

Bille1 Thread Starter

OK can't find update to Realtek NIC, so have un-installed ZoneAlarm so will see what happens in the next 24 hours.

Thanks for the advice this far.

8. joeten

joeten

Hi please make sure you put something in place of zone alarm

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The Windows firewall should automatically replace it; just ensure it is active. I personally see no need for anything else.

10. joeten

joeten

Hi correct rog just wanted to be sure it got turned on

11. Bille1

Bille1 Thread Starter

Yes I'm using the Windows FW instead of ZA been 72 hours now and computer is still on it's feet so pretty safe to assume it was Zone Alarm.

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

13. tpanc13

tpanc13

I solved my RealTek problem that caused a failed Shutdown (Bugcheck 9f) instead of Sleep/Hibernate by rolling ReakTek driver back to previous version. I had trusted MSFT to provide a REAL driver from RealTek, but the Windows Update put one on that was NOT described or available from the RealTek site. Thus, rolling it back via Device Manager resolved my failed Shutdown, Bluescreen, 9f problem that should have been entering Sleep or Hibernate instead. Use of the WinDbg tool from MSFT allowed me to identify the problem. Hope this help you. fyi, I installed the optional RealTek update on 2/7/2010 and had 3 shutdowns before rolling it back. So far, none.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Thanks for that info, perhaps the poster did not look in the correct place for an available update as he reported finding none.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901993