1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win7 and network problems-

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by djs6673, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djs6673

djs6673 Thread Starter

I just got a new toshiba laptop L505 with windows 7. First thing I did was make the recovery discs. Then generaly played with it. It found my linksys wireless network and went on line. I could see the other computers on the network. I could not print to the network Brother printer hooked up to a windows 98 se machine. Got error code 0x0000688. Was not to worried about it, would work on it later.
    Next I uninstalled Norton 360 trial software and downloaded Norton from my comcast account. At that time I could still see the other computers on the network. but still could not print to the network printer on the 98 machine. This morning when I booted up the new laptop, it did not see the other computers on the network. I rebooted it and it did see the network but could still not access the network printer. I shut it down and pluged it directly into the brother print with usb cable. It did the driver install and I printed the test page. I turned the new laptop off and disconnected the printer. When I booted back up it can not find any another computers or printers on the network. I tried turning off the norton firewall but No change.
    When my new computer is turned on now my older machines with windows 98se can not find the network at all. A windows 2k machine can find the network sometimes. When my new laptop with windows 7 is turned off everyone plays well as before.
    Any knowledgeable suggestions?
    Thanks
    Dave

2. djs6673

djs6673 Thread Starter

Well after playing around for awhile it became obvious the problem with not seeing the other computers on the network was Norton security. Everthing work fine when I turned off the Norton fire wall. Clicked on the little network icon on the lower right of the main norton window. Edit the network trust to full trust and the computers will appear on the network map. Click on each computer on the map and edit the trust level to full trust. After that you can re-edit the network trust back to "protected".
    Still have not worked out the problem with the remote printer. I can install it and print to it. But once I turn off the Win 7 computer and turn it back on, the printer is off line and can not be reconnected to. Will play with it for a couple days and repost. Maybe I will be able to get some help with the printer problem.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice