1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win7 install on Samsung EVO 250Gb will not install on the drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by paulb100, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

ive never had this issue before and installed a few SSD drives before including an 840 and 2x 840 EVO's (RAID) - when i get to setup it says it "was unable to create a new system partition"

anyone know why this is>?

its replacing an OCZ 60Gb which never had this issue?
    its going in core=i5 p67 system

there is a HDD on SATA3_0 and EVO SSD on SATA3_1 and DVD on SATA2_0 and USB mouse, keyboard & printer

help

thanks

2. Sponsor

3. replay

replay

You are disconnecting all the other harddrives before u try to install the OS on the ssd ...right

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

no, ive never had to before, as it lets you choose which to install on.... but Ive installed OS on SSD with mechanical drives attached before because your just choosing which drive you want to install it on.....i followed some instructions that allowed me for format/align during the setup stage using CMD and that worked

thanks anyway

5. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

Windows goes by the drives order in the Bios and is probably trying to put the hidden 100MB boot files partition on the mechanical drive. If you disconnect that drive and just have the SSD in there 7 should install ok.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

i had that happen before and it still worked ...but I noticed & i redone it without

anyway its solved now

gone from:
    275Mbps read , 65Mbps write, 0.3ms latency, 17,000 iops on a 60Gb OCZ VERTEX 2E which is 3 yrs old...!!
    to
    515Mbps read, 495Mbps write, 0.02ms latency, 80,000 iops on 250Gb Samsung EVO,
    I have RAPID mode on and he gets over 2Gbs Read, 3Gbps Write and 250,000 iops

all tests run on AS SSD - a proper SSD benchmark

personally i find OCZ drives to be poor, poor latency, slow speeds and high fault rates....especially in the Agility series..I got one and send it back after it kept reallocating sectors everyday and was under performing due to them using ATTO benchmark to qoute speeds on the box (which is an unrealistic benchmark) and other issues i cant remember , I got a Samsung 840 and never looked back... unti I got 2 EVO'S in RAID array as I alwways wanted to do it 1050/800/125,000/0.02ms

thanks

7. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

Yes sometimes it will work but later if you remove the other drive with those boot files on it or even change the drive order in the Bios it can fail to boot into Windows and that can be hard to figure out.

Nice set up, I've read that Samsung SSDs are very good.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129488