1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: win7 nightmare for no reason....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wayki, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wayki

wayki Thread Starter

had new ASUS UL30a for a week - windows 7 64bit.

turned off all the updates, deleted all the rubbish, and installed MS security essentials.

ran perfect.

today did a restart and went to a "windows is doing an update"and was stuck at 15% for 25 minutes. this was strange as i was not expected anything like this.

on reboot it went to unpacking 206,000 files! at 30,000 it went black. after 10 mins i rebooted, and then went to repair mode -
    i have no restore points as all this is turned off.

the pc has no cd drive, and i have SUPER IMPORTANT files on the disk.

what can i do? i have a restore cd, but how can i get this to be a boot usb disk? looks like hard work. note: i have another pc i can do stuff on to help.

this is nuts!!!

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

When booting it up and hitting F8 after the BIOS(first screen that shows company logo) goes away, can you select 'Start Windows Normally'? What happens when you do that?

If that does nothing after 10 minutes, reboot and do the same as above but choose 'Last Known Good Configuration.'

Come back with results.

3. wayki

wayki Thread Starter

i did last known good config - it ran "reverting lalala" for an hour - then it is now ok!! yipeee ....was thinking of 2 days of boot from a usb key reinstall hell trip nightmare.

thanks guys.....so much!!

what is all this "features" craziness????

and do you think it important to create a restore point and turn this on?

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Definitely create restore points and have it setup to do so. They are vital in ensuring you might not have to do a complete reinstall one day.

Glad we could solve it for you, please click the solved button at the top of the thread!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice