1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win7 search not working for secondary hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by syc0path, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I'm running Win7 on a computer w/ an SSD boot drive and a 3TB data drive. For some reason, every time I search for a file on the 3TB drive, it says "No items match your search" -- even for files that I know are there. Searches on the boot drive work fine.

I tried rebuilding the index on the 3TB drive, but it didn't make any difference. What else can I try??

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Go to Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options and then click Indexing Options
    Click on Modify and insure a check is next to the 3TB drive.

3. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Yes, it's checked. As I said, I already rebuilt the index and it didn't work.

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

What drive letter is assigned to the 3TB drive?
    If the assigned letter is between A through E, change it to something outside that scope. Then rebuild the index.

5. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

It was set to A, so I changed it to L. I added L to the index and it seemed to work fine. So I tried switching it back to A, but then the search didn't work. So I went to L and it working again. BTW, I rebooted after each drive letter change.

So the question is, why doesn't it work under A but it does under L??

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

“A” and “B” are reserved for floppy disk drive’s. Since they are basically like removable media, Windows search will not look at them

7. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Why wouldn't Windows Search not look at removable media? It searches my flash drive. And if it won't search those drive letters, why does the search box appear when I open the A: drive folder?

This seems more like a glitch in Win7, rather than something that was done on purpose.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Windows Search does looks at removable media. Your USB flash drives will have letters D and later.
    A and B are reserved for floppies. C is the internal hard drive. D might be an optical drive, if one is installed. I have my internal hd partitioned so my optical drive has been reassigned to E, instead of D.
    I have two inbuilt card readers. They have now been assigned G and H.

If I insert a USB stick, it gets F assigned. If I insert a 2nd USB stick, it is assigned I. A third stick J and so on.

What exactly is your A: drive folder?

9. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

The folder that is displayed when I double-click My Computer and then double-click the A: drive.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    So you have a floppy drive in that computer? Or a USB connected floppy drive?
    The 1st image shows an old 2K computer with an internal floppy drive.
    The 2nd image shows a Win 7 with an external USB floppy drive.
    The last image shows a Win 7 computer with no floppy drive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The default of Search is to look only in the "Index".
    These floppies will not be included in ANY Index.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    He's not wanting to search floppies; he wants to search an external.

I suspect he tried to name the external drive A which is reserved for a floppy drive.

He never specified what the A drive is

13. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

My A: drive was an internal hard drive. I understand now that Windows won't search the A: drive becuz it's reserved for floppies, but I think that's stupid becuz A: won't always be a floppy.

I also think it's stupid that when I open the A: drive root folder, the search box appears in the upper left hand corner. If search doesn't work for drive letter A:, then why does the search box appear??

That's what my computer looks like, except that the D: drive was assigned to A:.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Re-assign your A drive as another letter besides A, B or C.

Tell it to MS, they made the rules way back when computers were not "personal computers" or PCs.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice