1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win7 won't boot, installation CD says it's not correct version

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by syc0path, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

My computer was in sleep mode, but when I went back to it several hours later, it was turned off. I'm not sure if there was a power interruption or some1 hit the button on the tower or whatever. Anyway, when I tried to reboot it, it loaded the BIOS and then I got the dreaded BSOD -- it's just a black screen w/ a flashing cursor.

So I pulled out my Win7 installation CD (which is what I used to install Win7 on this computer) and tried to repair the installation. It tells me that the version on the disc is not the same as the version on the computer!

Is there anything else I can do besides reinstalling Windows and therefore all of my other programs?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

If what you say is true, It could be that the version on the installation DVD does not have SP1, which is likely to have been installed on your laptop along with the Windows Updates, so because in essence that would make them different versions, you might get this error.
    See if any of your friends have an installation DVD which includes SP1 and try the repair.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you computer came with Windows 7 and a DVD and you updated the computer to SP1, then you will get that message.

You might be able to download a DVD of Win 7 with SP1. What is the version of Windows and is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

4. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Some background info: this computer consists of an SSD boot drive and 2 3TB hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

So I finally got fed up and decided to reinstall Win7. But the Win7 install disc couldn't write to the existing partition, so I deleted it and made a new partition. The disc still couldn't write to it. I pulled out my old WinXP installation disc... same problem.

I thought the SSD was dying, so I pulled out a known good 1.5TB hard drive to use temporarily. Same scenario -- the install disc couldn't write ether to the existing partition or to a new partition. At this point I figured there must be some other hardware issue that was causing the problem.

I disconnected the 3TB drives and Win7 installed w/ no problem. I reconnected 1 of the 3TB drives and still no problems. I put the SSD back in and installed Win7 on that w/ no problem. All of my files are still present and accessible on at least 1 of the 3TB drives.

So either 1 of the 3TB drives is bad, or the RAID array was corrupted somehow. But that shouldn't have prevented Win7 from starting, and it sure as hell shouldn't have prevented a fresh install! It also pisses me off that it couldn't write to the partition, but it didn't have any problem deleting the partition. Now I have to reinstall Win7 and all my programs:mad:

5. vembutech

vembutech Banned

Hi,

For solving BSOD : Try this ;

1. Remove any CDs, DVDs, or memory cards from the computer.
    2. Disconnect all devices from the computer except the original mouse, monitor, and keyboard. Leave the power cord connected.

Restart the computer.

(i) If it starts normally, start plugging devices in one at a time until you find one that may be causing the black screen

(ii) If this doesn't resolve it, follow the procedure below.

Press the F10 key repeatedly during the first startup screen until the Entering setup message displays.
    Press the F5 key to restore the defaults. Use the arrow keys to select YES , and press Enter .
    Press the F10 key to save the changes and exit. Use the arrow keys to select YES , and press Enter .
    The computer restarts.
    If a Windows Error Recovery screen displays when the system restarts, select Start Windows Normally , and press Enter .

6. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

That's good info! Too bad I didn't know that before I deleted the partition:(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice