1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win7 - XP network problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kiwi_wombat, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiwi_wombat

kiwi_wombat Thread Starter

I have had an XP system running for many years on a PC. The network is accessible by a wirless laptop.

I have just bought a new Windows 7 computer running W7 Professional. I plugged it into the router and it worked perfectly. So far so good.

It is my intention to make the W7 computer the new main computer and will eventually transfer all the data files and the printer to that computer. The XP machine will then be used as for back-ups, so it needs to be able to see everything on the W7 computer.

On the W7 computer I connected to the XP network and can see all the shared files on the XP computer. On the XP computer I can see the W7 computer, but when I try to connect to it, it asks for a user name and password.

When I originally connected to the network on the W7 computer I didn't allocate any password. In fact in the advanced section, I turned off passwords

How do I find out what password to use?

2. Byrone4807

Byrone4807

what router are you running? A linksys router is "admin" without the quotes by default. I'm sure you can research other default passwords.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The name/password of a user account on the Windows 7.

4. kiwi_wombat

Thanks both for your input

To Byrone4807
    I am using a Netgear DG834 Router and you are right, the user name for that is admin. However I know the password and it doesn't work

To TerryNet
    That might be it but I have never allocated a password. I'll see what happens though and report back

5. kiwi_wombat

Problem Solved

I changed the settings in "Advanced Sharing Settings"

I am not sure which one did it as I changed several including

1. Turn off Public folder sharing
    2. Turn off Password protected sharing
    3. Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice