1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win7HomePrem. - 32 or 64 bit???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Cassidy0111, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cassidy0111

Cassidy0111 Thread Starter

I'm thinking of buying a new computer, but money is tight, so thought Windows 7 Home Premium would be less expensive since Windows 8 is out now. I wonder though what the difference is between a 32 or 64 bit edition. Can anyone explain the difference/advantages to me?

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

32 0s & 1s vs 64.
    32 bit can handle a maximum of 4 GB ram; NOT ALL versions of W7 can handle that 4 GB

64 bit
    W7 HP can handle 16 GB ram
    W7 Ultimate can handle 192 GB ram
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Not every program of 32 bit has a 64 bit relative.

Before you decide on 64 bit, verify that your favorite programs can run in a 64 bit environment.

Adobe Flash Player doesn't like 64 bit Windows.

RF123

3. Cassidy0111

This is the computer I'm looking at:
    HP Refurbished DC5700 Desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB Memory, 750GB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Comes with a DVD burner drive... huge selling point for me. :)

Since it comes with 4GB memory, can I assume it will handle that? This is advertised as a 32 bit edition. Can that be upgraded to a 64? If so, what does that usually cost and can I install it myself?

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Check at support.hp.com

Is this your computer?
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...2454&prodSeriesId=3249646&task=&lang=en&cc=us

If it ships from the factory with 4 GB, I assume that it can handle 4 GB. I have an HP laptop that shipped with 2 GB. Per Crucial, the max is 2 GB.

Another resource I use is www.crucial.com
    You can select the brand, model & model #
    After the computer is identified, upper left, you will find a display of the max ram the PC can handle.

HTH

DVD recorders are very useful. I don't shop, often for PCs. Those which I have seen include a DVD burner.

If speed is important, consider an SSD. My W7 Pro 32 bit desktop, which I built, with 4 GB DDR3 ram boots to an 80 GB platter drive in 57 sec; with a 120 GB SSD in 35 seconds. W7 update notices during update installation flash across the screen.

Downsides of SSDs; ^ cost per GB vs platter drives; GB capacity of SSDs.

Upsides of SSDs: speed & longevity. There are no moving parts in an SSD.

The system you described sounds nice.

Best of success.

RF123

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. Realize that 32-bit really only uses about 3.2 to 3.5 GB of that 4 GB.

Check on HP's web site to see if there are Windows 7 64-bit drivers for it.

About $100 US and I'm guessing you can read simple instructions and install yourself.

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Download and run Windows Upgrade Advisor. It will scan your system and tell you which version(s) of Win 7 it will support. I did that before upgrading my XP laptop to 7 Home Premium, and it clearly told me I could only upgrade to the 32-bit version.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you considering the Small Form Factor or the Micro Tower model of the HP Compaq dc5700?

The support site for both models have device drivers for Windows XP and Windows Vista, but not for Windows 7.

If Windows 7 has been installed in it, hopefully all of its devices are working.

Both models do support a maximum of 4 GB of RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. Cassidy0111

Okay, thanks everyone. You've been most helpful. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!