1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Win98 Error Accessing System Registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by james91911, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james91911

james91911 Thread Starter

After I installed Windows 98, a restart produced the "Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you" message. When I click "OK" it just restarts with the same message. I found Article 193903 in the MS Knowledge Base that applies to this problem. Tried a restart in Safe Mode and did not have the problem, and also received no follow-on messages (i.e. Explorer exceptions etc.). That told me this problem was indeed a swap file problem. I then followed the "Resolution" section of the article and successfully deleted the windows/win386.swp file and made more room on the swap file following paragraph 5 selecting the .tmp file. A restart was successful just one time, then the error message came right back. I then tried to go back in and delete ".old" repeating step 5. All I got was four or five pages of files that looked like this:
    C:\PROGRA~1\ACCESS"1
    \HYPERT~1
    and ended with a summary of 2,841 files in 492 dir(s) 37,748.28MB free and the C prompt again. I am not sure where to go from here, and hope someone out there can help me out.
    Thanks so much for you time.
    james91911 :confused:

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

Try Scanreg Restore. There are some implications about doing this. Check out the link below for those implications:

START -> RUN

Type: "scanreg /restore"

It should give a msg or something, then allow you to choose what registry backup copy you want. Maybe something in here is before the date when you tried the defrag program...once you select the date (and note, it may not work if the date is the oldest one), do whatever and it will reboot and, hopefully, fix the problem.

http://forums.techguy.org/t220797.html

3. james91911

james91911 Thread Starter

Hello Dingenium: Thanks for the reply and great suggestion. I could not get the "scanreg/restore to open because of the open error message. What I did do was start>shutdown>restart in DOS mode>C\:windows>scanreg /restore and hit "enter" The box you referred to opened up and I was able to pick the first date and successfully restart the computer without the error showing up again. Appreciate the assist very much.
    james91911

4. Dingenium

Dingenium

Sorry, I had just copied what I had written for a WinME user. Glad it worked.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For the record, I believe scanreg/restore can be run from the start/run command in Windows ME, but not in Windows 98.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice