Solved: Win98 fonts sometimes "garbled"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mctoo

I am updating and fixing a Win98 machine (the SE upgrades were installed already). The fonts are sometimes garbled. I have attached a screen shot showing a font. The characters are slanted to the left and not entirely there, so it's unreadable when this happens. It happens in various applications, including I.E. and Word. The letters will correct themselves as I select them. Also, going into Tools | Internet Options | Fonts somtimes causes the I.E. screen to re-draw, and that fixes it -- until I use Refresh in the top bar. Also, once I saw the text effectively split into 3 parts -- the left third of the screen was garbled, the middle third was OK, and the right third was garbled! I have restored the Windows Default Fonts (kb234749) but they are still garbled. When I look at the Fonts with the increasing sizes displayed like in the attached, some of the fonts will actually have a size that is half-broken. The top half is slanted, but the bottom is OK. And all the sizes larger than that one are OK. I have also uninstalled Office and installed a newer version. That didn't help, either. Unfortunately, this machine cannot be wiped clean because the owner has some software installed that cannot be reinstalled. Any other advice will be appreciated.

Found the problem, but I don't entirely understand it. QuickTime 6 was creating some kind of conflict. As long as QT was running, the fonts were garbled. I no longer let QT execute at startup, and I installed WinPatrol to make sure it could not put an entry in the Startup when it did run. The stand-alone QT would garble the fonts but they would be OK after exiting QT. When running QT in IE, I have to close the IE process to get the fonts back to normal. There is a chance that there is something else that would cause the problem, but this problem-and-resolution works consistently.

I'm going to try to mark this thread as solved -- I hope I do it right.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online