1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win98 & NAV2005

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by scranfield, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scranfield

scranfield Thread Starter

I have an old DELL Dimension running Win98. I have installed NAV2005 on it and now winword keeps crashing. This is also happening to publisher ... Other programs seem to work ok. I'm thinking some resource problem ... Could NAV2005 push this over the edge? Any one had a similar issue???

2. jaye944

jaye944

more RAM,

2005 is very hungry

3. scranfield

Jaye944, Cheers. Any ideas how to push up the page file on 98 ??? Its been a while since i had to try. I'm guessing the system ctrl panel?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Norton - problematic, intrusive, and a memory hog. :mad: (n)

How much RAM do you have installed?

5. scranfield

there is 128mb RAM - I've set the pagefile to max 512mb ... it's really dragging it down. I don't really want to start buying more RAM for this ... I think that I will just remove NAV05.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Good luck with removing Norton Antivirus 2005. After you uninstall it, you'll likely need to look for and remove several leftover files and registry entries. :(

Go into the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab and uncheck and disable as many programs as you can. Other than

ScanRegistry

SystemTray

Antivirus program entries

very little else, if any, needs to be checked and enabled. The smaller you keep the startup load, the better your computer will run and the more performance you can wring from it. (y)

7. scranfield

OK, Thanks flavallee. I'm not looking forward to removing it. thanks for you help.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.

If you go to the Symantec site, they might provide instructions for removing it.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sometimes, you get lucky and most of it will go via the add/remove programs, IF you haven't already tried playing with things.

And 128 megs of ram would be problematic with much running as it is.

10. jaye944

jaye944

you need MORE than 128 for sure. I'm running 128 with 2002, and thats a pain as it is,

add more ram and that will solve your problem

NAV rocks, other people I know use it with no problems

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I see this has been marked solved. Can we get a final follow-up please?

12. scranfield

Hi Sorry about that . The end result was that I managed to remove NAV05 . After that I ran a scan disk and defrag (standard practice) and reinstalled NAv03... All is back working. I didn't release that NAV05 would react that way on my system. Thanks for the ideas.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice