1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win98 SE home network headache

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MisterD, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MisterD

MisterD Thread Starter

I opened this as a new thread since a very similar problem was just posted but was for windows xp.

I have 1 pc out of three (all running win98se) that dropped off the workgroup I set up and refuses :mad: to rejoin. This is a wired network with a linksys 8-port router, westell dsl modem and symantec firewall.

Before I switched to dsl I had all 3 pc's linked by the router, sharing files and 'seeing' each other via network neighborhood. It was when I installed dsl and configured linksys router so all 3 would have internet access that the fun :eek: began. FWIW, the 2 good pc's are compaq desktops and the delinquent is an older ibm desktop.

The ip address of the router is: 192.168.1.101. #1 pc's address is: 192.168.1.100. #2's address is: 192.168.1.102. #3 was 192.168.1.103, but now has none, although Device Manager shows the NIC installed and recognized by the system. Also, the 'active' and 'link' lights on the NIC are not lit.

First remedy was to replace NIC. Made no difference. Then I moved the NIC to another slot and reinstalled. No difference. I also tried the suggestion elsewhere on the board of cleaning up corrupted winsock registry entries.

Before posting this I ran IPCONFIG to get network information & something strange happened. The black screen for ms dos prompt flashed and disappeared, so I'm sorry I can't provide what the settings were or should be.

I'm to the point where I'm ready to retire this pc and get a newer one, but before I went to that expense and trouble of moving everything off the old pc I wondered if there is some other troubleshooting tip I might try. Thanks in advance.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have replaced network cards and still have no lights, then the problem is not likely with the card.

Also, any Winsock fixes are not likely to solve this particular problem.

I would next recommend making sure you are using a known working cable and port on the router.

With Win98 you can also uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP. Those files can get corrupted. Make sure you have the OS source files available.

1. Temporarily add in NetBEUI
    2. Remove TCP/IP
    3. Reboot
    4. Add TCP/IP
    5. Remove NetBEUI
    6. Reboot

3. MisterD

MisterD Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. I will try this tonight and report back on any progress. (y)

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also the reason IPCONFIG just flashed opened and closed is that you likely did a start / run / IPCONFIG

This needs to be run from a DOS window.

A GUI interface program WINIPCFG, showing the same information, can also be run from Win98. Might give that a try as well.

But first you at least need to have lights on both the NIC and port on the router.

5. MisterD

MisterD Thread Starter

I used a store-bought cable from the network card to walljack, then went thru the install/uninstall of netbeui and tcp/ip as you recommend and nothing changed.

Think you're right on the bad cable going from the wallplate to the router port. I wired all the runs myself and since 3 other locations in my house work fine there appears to be no signal going from router to that room. I will replace the connects on each end of the run and see if that solves it. Thanks again

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

An easy way to test that out first is bring the computer to a location you know has working cable.

7. MisterD

MisterD Thread Starter

The NIC lit up like a Christmas tree when I plugged the PC into a working Cat5e plug in an adjoining room. Replacing/rewiring connector on the router end of the line where I was getting no signal fixed it. #3 now configured and online with the other two. Thanks! (y)

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad the first suggestion worked and thanks for posting back.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice