1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win98 to XP - Now modem wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdpaul, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdpaul

cdpaul Thread Starter

Hi guyz,

I upgraded a pc from windows 98 to XP Home and everything seems fine except the internal 56k modem,

Windows has installed it (i dont have a driver disc for it) so it shows in device manager, but when i try to connect to the internet it clicks twice then shows "no dial tone", ive checked the cable, phone line etc and turned off "wait for dial tone" in the modem settings.

Could it be anything in the bios or perhaps the motherboard firmware, or is there something else im doing wrong?

Thanx

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello did you enter the isp settings

3. cdpaul

cdpaul Thread Starter

Yes i did

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What modem is it? Do you have any errors in Device Manager or two modems listed?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Biggest problem with Upgrade of older Windows 9X to NTFS XP is modem and network access. I know you will hate to hear it but you if you cannot find XP driver for modem to work right you will have to do clean install as personally I have never seen a cure for this one.

6. cdpaul

cdpaul Thread Starter

Sorry, i wasnt very clear in my initial comments.

When i upgraded from win98 i did so by doing a clean install ie disc format.

Triple6 - Xp recognised(or at least appears to have) and installed the modem so there is no error in device manager and it is the only one.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Still what modem is it? XP doesn't always install the correct driver.

8. TeeJayP

TeeJayP

An external or PCI modem WOULD have the right drivers. They don't cost much.

9. cdpaul

cdpaul Thread Starter

Thanx Triple6, u were right. XP had installed wrong driver even tho it was showing as 56k modem.

I searched and found the correct driver, installed it and now its working.

Cheers

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!