1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win98-update To Winxp Pro Sp2 - Problems?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by imajen2, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imajen2

imajen2 Thread Starter

On this comp I formatted the hd then installed win98 and updated with winxp pro sp2 supdate. What sort of problems could I encounter. I have had a couple of little glitches but nothing major.

Thanks
    Jenni:)

2. Dan O

Dan O

Are you sure the PC hardware is compatible with Windows XP?

If you are unsure, see: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/checkcompat.mspx

Also I don't recommend an upgrade because it carries over old problems. You can use the Windows XP Upgade CD without installing Windows 98 first. I would delete all partitions and format the drive then install Windows XP. The install will ask you to insert an older version of Windows, but it will not install it.

3. imajen2

imajen2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.
    Yes the hardware is compatible. I didn't originally have any problems when I first installed win98 then the xp update. Buuuuuuut now I have. So....now that I have a full version of xp I am going to format the hd and start over. I am going to do this with the help of a computer tech from work. He can actually do it for me, but he also suggested I do that with him so I will learn myself how to go through the process. I used to format the hd on my old comp with win98 and I did the win98/xp update on this comp. Just need to purchase another memory stick to save all the stuff on this comp my family and I have accumulated :)

4. Dan O

Dan O

That's great and we appreciate the follow-up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice