1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Win98FE Install with Win95B

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by james91911, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james91911

james91911 Thread Starter

Hello All: I have Windows 95B installed and I am trying to install Win98FE as a second Operating System (OS) after reconfiguring my Maxtor 8.4HD with Partition Magic 5.0 as follows:
    C: FAT 2000MB Active Primary. (320MB used for Win95B)
    D: FAT32 3733MB None Logical.
    * Linux Ext2 2150MB None Logical
    * Linux Swap 125BM None Logical
    After I combined D, E and F and changed to FAT32, I formatted Drive D and did a thorough Scan Disk and Defrag. No errors found.
    When I use the Win98 Boot Disk, it finds the CD-ROM's (2), ATAPI etc down to the following:
    A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:Z
    Not enough drive letters available
    Invalid drive specification
    Invalid directory
    Bad command or file name
    A:\>_.
    I use a copy of the boot floppy made from the original that came with my Windows 98 OS (MS - full install, not OEM upgrade). And just to make sure, I formatted the copied floppy disk and recopied the boot floppy to it again. Even if I reformat the entire drive using the Ext2 file system, then boot Win98 floppy, I get this same message. Using the same procedure, Win95B floppy boot disk performs the expected installation after reformatting the drive so all four partitions of 2GIG each are FAT. This leads to the following request for suggestions as to how to solve this problem:
    Is my original Win 98 boot floppy corrupted? (I used it to successfully install Win98FE on my Compaq laptop).
    Have I missed something during the combining of the drives so Win98
    can install on the D drive? (Boot Magic 2.0 is installed and "standing by" Thank you very much for your inputs and assistance.
    james91911

2. mobo

mobo

Get a new one Here . >>>Download the file to your desktop then double click on the downloaded file to start the load to the formatted floppy in the drive.

3. james91911

Thank you Mobo. A corrupted boot disk as I thought. Will download one from the site you have suggested and try again.
    james91911

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:Z

I think the problem is there, as D isn't your cdrom drive, is it?

Also, wondering out loud here, can 95 and 98 reside on the same hard drive????

5. james91911

Thank you for the reply AceCandy. No, D is not my CD-ROM drive. I one 32X on E and one 4X on F. When the boot process starts, the floppy correctly identifies both CD-ROM types, but I don't think it designated the drive letters. Mobo was kind enough to point me in the direction of a site with boot disks, one of which is for Win98/Win98SE. I have just downloaded it, but have not tried it yet. PM says 95 and 98 can reside on the same HD, but only one can be Primary. Think some of the boot files go on the C drive, even if I put 98 on the D drive. Thanks for pointing out the A:MSCDEX.EXE /D:. If I get the same message with the new boot disk, how do I change the drive letter? Don't think I can just highlight D and replace it wih E or F.
    james91911

6. ~Candy~

No, you can't, but hopefully with the new boot disk, it won't be pointed in that direction anyway.

7. james91911

Hi AceCandy: Didn't think so. Thanks for the assist. If I continue to have problems with this evolution, I'll post, otherwise all went well.
    james91911

8. ~Candy~

Please post either way so we can mark it solved :)

9. james91911

Hello AceCandy: You can mark this one solved. Based on your observation that "D" was not my CD-ROM drive, I put my original Win 98 boot disk back in and at the "A" prompt, I typed: E:\setup" hit enter and "viola" it continued the install routine. Then I got the message "Other operating system detected, this installation will overwrite your current Windows Operating System" Yes/No. The answer was a simple path change from A to E because it could not find E or F where the CD-ROM drives were located, just D which is my FAT32 partition. Thanks for the observation. This was just a "Forrest and the Trees" situation for me.
    james91911

10. ~Candy~

Great, you are welcome.....thanks for letting us know ;)

BTW, it's AcaCandy :p

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice