[SOLVED] win98se hangs on install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kerri Ann

i'm trying to install windows 98se on a pc i just built, and every time i get to the part in setup where it checks for installed components, it hangs at 100%. does anyone know why?

thanks in advance...

First Name
Bryan
There could be many reasons why but the first thing I'd try would be to remove all of the cards except for the video card and then try to install W98SE.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yep, ditto on what Bryan said ;) And anything externally plugged in except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Kerri Ann

ok, i removed everything but the kb and monitor... same thing...
i also had a little trouble with my cdrom drive this time. i had to install drivers for it from mitsumi, and it sees the win98cd, but it wouldn't run setup the first time i tried.

First Name
Bryan
Try installing from the hard drive. Boot to the boot diskette and enter each command at an A:\ prompt and press enter after each.

md c:\windows
md c:\windows\options
md c:\windows\options\cabs
copy d:\win98\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.*

Now remove the CD.

At the a:\> prompt type in the following and press enter.

c:\windows\options\cabs\setup

You'll be prompted during the install that the "Windows folder already exists ..." and it will suggest you install to Windows.000

Remove the .000 from the end and let it install to the existing folder Windows

Kerri Ann

ok, when you say to type
copy d:\win98\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.*
d is supposed to be my cdrom drive, right? because f is my cdrom drive, d is my second partition, and e is ramdrive (temporarily)

Kerri Ann

ok guys. i did it! thanks alot bryan and acacandy :) i really appreciate it. now i just have to figure out what the heck i plan on doing with the computer i installed it on...

First Name
Bryan
Glad to hear your ok now.

BTW, the nice thing about installing from the hardrive is, in the future when you add or remove Windows components, it will automatically look to the hard drive for any files it needs instead of prompting you for the Windows CD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online