1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: window xp professional will not start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vickilev1010, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vickilev1010

vickilev1010 Thread Starter

I was wondering if any one can help me out here. i was on my computer last night and it just shut down on me while i was on the internet. Lately my computer has been taking forever to load up and takes forever to shut down. well when i went to start it back up i got an error message stating " windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file". Now what am i supposed to do. i have an acer aspire 5100 and the operating system i have an my computer is windows XP professional. Can anyone please help me out, i just got that hard drive 4 months ago. :(

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have an XP CD?

3. vickilev1010

no i dont have it no more but my friend has it, i have been trying to get a hold of him to get it back.when i got the new hard drive i borrowed his windows cd.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. We can probably start it anyway if nothing too serious is wrong.

Make either a floppy or the CD and try booting with that. Try the different menu items if the dirst doesn't work.

Bootable XP Sysboot Floppy
    XP Sysboot CD Image

5. vickilev1010

i cant do nothing today with it but tomorrow i can get to it and i will let ya know what happens

6. cecilep61280

cecilep61280

I've been trying to help her with this, i downloaded that cd and nothing happens. I used Power ISO to burn it and i burned one that was finalized and one that wasn't, neither worked. Isn't it possible to get the file off the internet and reinstall it that way or no? We can't seem to get a XP cd for her computer and its a brand new hard drive just xmas, which thanks to you elvandil helped us install it.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

There shouldn't be any options about finalizing. It is an iso file, a CD image, so it is already in its final state.

Do you know how to burn image files?

How To Write ISO Files To CD

Free ISO burning apps:

Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.)
    [email protected] ISO Burner
    EasyISO
    BurnISO
    ISOBurn
    ISO Recorder for XP (Uses XP's burner and adds context menu - Vista version also available.)

Hal.dll varies according to machine type and is renamed from among 7 other files during setup. You do not know which to use and downloading dll's is not safe, in any case.

8. vickilev1010

i had to re-install windows completely, but i need drivers for my computer now, i dont have the original cd's for my computer so i have to search for them all. do you know of where i can find these drivers? I went to acer web site and it isnt helping me out much.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Exact make and model?

The Acer Europe site often has easier to find drivers.

10. vickilev1010

acer aspire 5100

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

12. cecilep61280

cecilep61280

everytime I try to install the chipset I get an error. I tried just running it first and I got an error. Right now I am saving the file and going to try that way and see what happens. Hopefully it works out. She did install the wireless first because she couldnt get service unless she did that first, would that matter?

13. cecilep61280

cecilep61280

Yeah we downloaded it and saved it to the computer. We have winzip (evaluation version) and it keeps saying "cannot open file: it does not appear to a valid archive, if you downloaded this file, try downloading it again". We have done it 4 times, and that is off the Acer europe site. When we try to go to the american site for the driver downloads it wont load and sys cannott connect after a few minutes, so i think they may be working on the site. I really need sound, so i want to get these drivers going. I use my computer for phone. Any ideas?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you left-clicking on the download since some bring you to another page?

No, it dosen't matter if the other drivers are installed first, just that some won't install without the chipset.

Try Windows Update, too. Many drivers may be there.

15. cecilep61280

cecilep61280

ok ill do a windows update now. I have installed the sound and a few other drivers, but when i go to her hardware drivers under unknown this is what is listed "modem device on high definition audio bus, sm bus controller, usb 2.0 camera, and video controller (vga compatible)" those are the only ones with a yellow !. So ill update her windows now, hopefully it will help, I'll report back

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice