1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 10 Build 10046 dns issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by XPUser1991, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

I've recently upgrade from build 10041 to 10049 and now it seems i can't change my DNS settings, when i navigate to the adapter settings the ipv4 settings button is greyed out, unless i can use the CMD prompt or PowerShell, i won't be able to change the DNS settings. I need to be able to change the settings as at school i am required to change to either OpenDNS public or google's public DNS as their DNS isn't that reliable, any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. valis

valis Moderator

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is that your personal-owned laptop or a school-owned laptop?

Either way, you shouldn't be using a technical preview of Windows 10 in it - which is still full of bugs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. XPUser1991

ok, let me clarify, it's a test rig, one i use for beta OSs and what not, i just happened to bring to school with me that's all

5. valis

valis Moderator

Still, this may be a known issue with that build. Did you submit the data to Technet as suggested?

6. renegade600

renegade600

just a bit of fyi, the technical previews have a lot of settings disabled on purpose so they can control the testing of certain features. if something is greyed out, then most likely it was done on purpose.

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

It's not an issue, but intentional. Just change it through an elevated command prompt. (Dan beat me to it)

Example:
    netsh interface ip set dnsservers name="Wi-Fi" static 8.8.8.8 primary

netsh interface ip add dns name="Wi-Fi" 8.8.4.4 index=2
    "Wi-Fi" is whatever your interface name is. If you don't know, run the following in cmd: netsh interface show interface

8. XPUser1991

ok, that's kinda dumb, but whatever, solved then

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice