1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2000 Pro-keeps restarting and restarting--Please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Windows 2000 Pro

Had service pack 3 and was working well. I had just put the 2000 on this computer it had windows 98SE. I had SP3 on it but new it need to have all the windows updates put on so went to windows updates and the first thing was SP4. I stayed up late last night and let SP4 install and thought everything was fine. Got up this morning and find out the computer boots up and goes to the windows 2000 screen but then the next screen would be the desktop but instead it reboots and goes to the same spot the 2000 screen but never makes it to the desktop, this happens over and over.

I tried to go into safe mode but does the same thing
    tried command prompt only so I could type in SCANREG but it just reboots again I can't get anywhere to do anything.

The last thing I tried was last known good configuration. I clicked on it and a page comes up with all the writing I hardly got a chance to read it when it reboot again. but under the first paragraph wher it says something about last know good configuration it has a space and the it says project 1 like I could have click on that if I would have been fast enough.

Any ideas from anyone would be nice. Thanks

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you upgrade Win98SE to W2KPro or was W2kPro a clean install?

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I was told I could just do a clean install and when it came to it delete the partions that were on it etc, thats what I did, however I don't understand when ever I would start the computer it would always give me a choice for windows 2000 or windows 98 I tried windows 98 once just to see what it would do and nothing would come up. Anyway when I choose the windows 2000 it would take me to it start up and it ran very well, this might have nothing to do with it but I had it on and went to plug some speakers in that were made for the pc but you have the 3 jacks to plug them in. One is for the microphone and there were two others I had plugged the speakers into the middle one and I had power to the speakers but no sound, I went to plug them into the top one and that when the computer if I remember right just shut down. I tried to restart it several times and it wouldn't start. Not even try to power up. So since it happen when I went to plug the speakers in and I had to move the computer to one side I thought maybe it was the power cord. I pushed on it and nothing so I tried a different power cord and it started up, however thats when it would just keep restarting, like I said, I tried safe mode, it was the same, last known good configuration, did the same thing, and safe mode with the c prompt did the same. So I can't even get it on to try anything. I just now thought well maybe its the power supply, I have a tester and it tested good but I tried another power supply anyway, and it does the same thing so it is not the power supply. I could really use some help here, I even tried to boot from the system disk, I went into bios and changed so it should boot from the cdrom but it wouldn't, I made a set of boot floppies and changed the bios to boot from the floppy and it won;t it keeps saying take all disks and all other media out press enter, if you do that it just tries to restart, I could really use some help here. Thanks

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it will not boot from the win2k cd and it will not boot from the 4 setup disks you have only one other option. That is to use a win9x boot disk to start setup. To do this you MUST have smart drive installed on the boot disk. If you try to run an install from the boot disk without smart drive, the install will take many hours.

To do this make a win9x boot disk. You may have to remove some items from the disk to make room for smart drive. Copy smartdrv.exe to the boot disk and restart the system with your win2k cd in the cd drive. Choose to start with cd support. Next type "smartdrv.exe" at the A> Now change to the i386 folder on your win2k cd. Type "winnt" and setup will start. You can now do a repair install of the system or do a clean install.

Note if you cannot find smart drive on the net, you can post a message. I can zip it and send it to you via email.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I want to make sure I did this right first, so let me ask you a couple of questions first.
    When I tried to start the computer with the cd-rom I went into BIOS and changed it from booting with the HHD to booting with the cd-rom first. I then turned the computer off and put the cd in the cd-rom and started the computer back up, it would come to the point at the bottom of the screen saying start with cd-rom and I would push enter but the something came up that said something to the effect of " to start from local support push the home button so I had to push that and then another screen would come up and I should have written it down but about a half of a page full of print and the last thing on the page was like it was checking for something and it would count up from 1 to 50 and then say boot failure or something like that and then start all over again. I went into the bios and put the floppy drive first and then put the #1 boot disk of the four in but then all it would say is remove all disks fromthe drives and push enter so it would never start from the floppy either, even if I put the floppy in and the started the computer, it should boot from the floppy then bout would just sayd take disk and all other media out and push enter. So my question is did I do that stuff right?

also if I did do that stuff right, I am going to do what you said about
    Choose to start with cd support. Next type "smartdrv.exe" at the A>
    If when I see the start with cd cd support but nothing happens when I press enter when I see it, I will I be able to type a at the A> if I cannot get it to bring a prompt up?? ( My next question is, if I cannot do it the way you say which would be nice if I can, but if I can't, would it be feasible to try to use fdisk and get it back to where I can put the OS back on and start over, I stiil have to put all the windows updates on it now so I wouldn't be out that much if I could do it that way. If I could do it that way, how would I do it? Just put in the fdisk floppy and then start the computer booting from the floppy first? If it will will do that.? I am will to try anything please let me know what I should try first aftet what I said about starting from the cd

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

(To do this make a win9x boot disk. You may have to remove some items from the disk to make room for smart drive. Copy smartdrv.exe to the boot disk and restart the system with your win2k cd in the cd drive. Choose to start with cd support. Next type "smartdrv.exe" at the A> Now change to the i386 folder on your win2k cd. Type "winnt" and setup will start. You can now do a repair install of the system or do a clean install.)

I cannot find the program smartdrv.exe to download. Could you send it to me? My e-mail is [email protected]
    Is there anything that is the best option to remove on the win98 boot disk to put the smartdrv on it? something that will not make a difference? I will try what you just said as soon as I can get the smartdrv program.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can remove format, fdisk, xcopy. That should make enough room for smart drive. I have sent it to your email.

8. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thank you very much. want to make sure I have this right. I will need to go back into the bios and set it to bbot from the cd-rom first?? then put the system (windows 2000) disk into the cd-rom and the boot disk into the floppy drive. then restart computer?? when the words come up boot from cd-rom I just press enter and that will take me to the C prompt then I can change to the A prompt and type in smartdvr.exe?? how do I change to the i386 folder?? I will wait to hear from you and then get it started. one more thing, on that smartdrv program, aftter I remove format, fdisk, and xcopy from the windows 98 boot disk then should I just extract smartdrv files to the boot disk??

9. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I want to say sorry for all the trouble. I ended up saying the heck with it. I took that harddrive out and put the Harddrive in that they had in there old computer that had windows 98 SE on it. It boots up just fine and does everything it is suppose to do. I am just going leave that harddrive in. they have a better video card and more ram in this computer so I am sure they will be happy. I don't know what the heck happened to tht other one but I guess I really don't need to know except I would be interrested to find out. But I will close this thread and keep it the way it is. Thanks for your time.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice