1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2000 pro-no control panel-can someone give me some info?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by xfile47, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

My buddy said he has no control panel. I told him I would try to find some info for him. He has windows 2000 pro. He says its been running fine except today he went to start and was going to go to settings and control panel but control panel doesn't show up. I told him to try to go to my computer and see if control panel was listed on the right side he said it wasn't. He was going to go to control panel to change the time since we had a time change and thats when he noticed it was gone. I told him to right click on the time in the tray area so he could change it that way but when he right click on it the box open and he click on date and time and it told him something to the effect of he didn't have admin rights thats never happened. Can someone give me some info or where to find a fix for control panel missing in windows 2000 ?

I ran over to his place and tried this stuff I read that was suppose to fix the problem but didn't, in fact when you go to start>settings the control panel wasn't there but after trying this stuff now the internet isn't even under setting only the taskbar something or other I need help bad. Here is what I tried

nosetfolders.vbs - Disable/Enable Control Panel and Printer folders on Start Menu/Settings
    © Doug Knox - rev 02/06/2000
    This code may be freely distributed/modified.
    Usage: Download nosetfolders.vbs Save the file to the folder of your choice. Double click the VBS file. The VB Script file will check for the appropriate value and if not found will create it. If the value was found, it will be toggled to its opposite state and you will be informed that you need to log off/back on or restart your computer. Note: This also disables Control Panel in My Computer. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated. Your antivirus software may report this script as potentially malicious, or a possible virus. This is because the script writes to the System Registry.
    http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Other things to try

Control Panel - Icons Missing
    Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load

Look in the right pane and you'll see the Control Panel Icons that have been disabled. You can either right click on the "don't load" subkey and select Delete to restore all disabled icons, or you can right click on each of the items in the right pane and select Delete to selectively restore them. Scroll up to Control Panel Applets for a listing of what each one is.

The change will be seen the next time you open Control Panel.

2. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Probably shouldn't say this cause this will probably effect any help I might get but I must say it. I have been coming to this site for probably about 3 years I have given to the site ( not much a twenty now and then) but I have gotten help for myself and for others. Through this site I have been able to help alot of people that couldn;'t afford to take there computer to a shop old people and others. I like to help people. This site used to get to you in anywhere from 5 min to an hour but always pretty ffast I was always impressed. I fear the same thing is happening to this great site that has happened to so many help sites. They start getting to big and then people get frustrated cause it starts taking days or a week or more to try to get any help. I no the site is free but I just hate to see one of the greatest sites to help people get like this, I have had three questions on here for days and can't get an answer. I say thank you for all the help i have recieved in the past and I hope I will recieve help for me and others in the future. I guess I am just frustrated.
    This one has been solved by the local computer shop, I told him he should have waited and he would have saved 100 bucks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice