1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows 2000 professional multiple proplems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by powellm802, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. powellm802

powellm802 Thread Starter

Hi I have windows 2000 professional (service pack 5) and i am experiencing multiple problems with my computer.

I have no tool bar at the bottom of my screen and the background has disappeared and been replaced by a completely blank blue screen.

Secondly my computer keeps showing a error message that my virtual memory is too low, this keeps appearing until eventually the computer stops working and needs to be restarted.

Third problem is that the computer will not shutdown or restart unless i hold the power button in or press the reset button.

Any help in resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated ;)

2. Tagware

Tagware

Sound like you have a non starting shell.

Can you give the system 3 finger salute. i.e Ctrl+Alt & Del to bring up the task manager? If so, select the tab "Applications" and the select New Task bottom right handside. Type "explorer". try this for starters.

3. powellm802

I managed to do that and it opened my documents folder that had a folders pane to the left of the screen.

4. Tagware

Tagware

OK.
    Using the same proceedure need to open taskman (3-finger salute) again. This time type "regedit"

Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

It's a tree system so start at the top and drill down. When you get to the folder at the Winlogon. On the righthand panel. Look for the "Shell" value. Is it "explorer.exe" ?

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING !

5. powellm802

no it is REG_SZ

6. Tagware

Tagware

OK That's the Type. What about in the Data field to the right of the "Type". Might have to move the col across to see.

7. powellm802

it says the same thing in both type and data,

8. Tagware

Tagware

Ensure that you are in the correct location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Then, double click on the "shell" under the "name" column and a dialog box will appear.

This will show the Value Name should read "Shell" and the Value data. IF this is is blank type "Explorer.exe" without the " then select OK.

Then close Regedit by the X. Then by press 3 finger salute. Bring up the taksman. Then using the "Shut Down" option on this restart computer.

9. powellm802

ok i'll try that now thank you and let you know what happens, thank you.

10. powellm802

I've done that and my desk top, tool bar at the bottom and desk top icons have all reappeared, computer seems to be running ok but a bit slow.
    Has this resolved the problems i was encountering? what can i do to remove unwanted items /clean up my computer. Many thanks for your help so far is is really appreciated

11. powellm802

the computer is working a lot better now, it seems that the list of issues i had have all been resolved.

Thank you very much. (y):)

12. Tagware

Tagware

Pleasure. Happy Computing!

Can you mark it solved if you are happy.

13. powellm802

already had marked it solved before your last response.

Once again many thanks you've saved me from many a frustrated hour trying to sort it myself.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/859444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice