Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: windows 2000 professional multiple proplems

981 views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  powellm802 
#1 ·
Hi I have windows 2000 professional (service pack 5) and i am experiencing multiple problems with my computer.

I have no tool bar at the bottom of my screen and the background has disappeared and been replaced by a completely blank blue screen.

Secondly my computer keeps showing a error message that my virtual memory is too low, this keeps appearing until eventually the computer stops working and needs to be restarted.

Third problem is that the computer will not shutdown or restart unless i hold the power button in or press the reset button.

Any help in resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated ;)

#4 ·
OK.
Using the same proceedure need to open taskman (3-finger salute) again. This time type "regedit"

Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

It's a tree system so start at the top and drill down. When you get to the folder at the Winlogon. On the righthand panel. Look for the "Shell" value. Is it "explorer.exe" ?

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING !

#8 ·
Ensure that you are in the correct location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Then, double click on the "shell" under the "name" column and a dialog box will appear.

This will show the Value Name should read "Shell" and the Value data. IF this is is blank type "Explorer.exe" without the " then select OK.

Then close Regedit by the X. Then by press 3 finger salute. Bring up the taksman. Then using the "Shut Down" option on this restart computer.

#10 ·
I've done that and my desk top, tool bar at the bottom and desk top icons have all reappeared, computer seems to be running ok but a bit slow.
Has this resolved the problems i was encountering? what can i do to remove unwanted items /clean up my computer. Many thanks for your help so far is is really appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.