1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2000 Professional won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by osewfine, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. osewfine

osewfine Thread Starter

I have a windows 2000 Professional on etower 333K that was working fine a couple of days ago and I disconnected it for a couple of days to move upstairs. When I reconnected it I got black screen with ATI MACH64 SDRAM BIOS 3.089. It just sat there so I tried to hit PF8 to see if it would go to Safe Mode and it looked like it was booting up. Desktop came up like always, but no curser. I checked to see if mouse was plugged in it was, so I changed to another mouse still no curser. No keys worked. Where do I go from here? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, eMachines are famous for this problem- they die suddenly, or seem to. The fans and drive will be spinning, all seems normal, but you get nothing on the screen, or maybe just what you see.
    It may, just may, be a dead or about to diemotherboard, I have seen several eMachines with the same type of problem, they worked one day, next time, not. EBay usually has six or so in the same condition every time I look for "eMachines not working" listings.

One symptom of the strange motherboard behavior I found, is all THREE green keyboard lights that normally flash only ONCE at startup will do that, and stay all ON, and any other keyboard exhibits the same symptom, after even just one startup. I burned out 3 nice PS/2 keyboards fooling with a bad eMachine once. None of the 3 of mine I plugged in to the eMachine would work at all again, except to display the "3 green lights" syndrome.

What causes it I have no idea, but the motherboard is declared dead when it happens! Almost has to be some kind of power short or lost BIOS......I bought a used same model, same eMachines mobo, it worked for 3 days, and also died with the same symptoms. All the parts however, when put in other pcs, worked just fine! I tested that power supply with a home tech type PSU tester and it showed "GOOD" so I still do not know what went wrong with that mobo, the main thing was, the 3 keyboard lights stayed on, it burnt any keyboard that you plugged in, and no video came up, even with an AGP card put in the slot to switch from the onboard video...I gave up with that eMonster....and I tryed everything possible, over a span of more than a week.

Go through the things below, and if no help, try the LAST part I have at the bottom.

This basic situation can happen> the mouse and keyboard plugs are reversed. If I am not paying really close attention, I get mine reversed even after years of doing this. The machine willl start up, but there is no mouse and keyboard does not respond. Look at the ports> there may be a tiny pic of a keyboard and a mouse, they are hard to see on some....and , they are sometimes hard to determine which goes where.

You have a disk in a drive. Normally this won't stop a mouse from working so I dont think it is your problem, but check, sometimes the startup will quit if it finds a non-bootable disk. Since you were able to get into Safe Mode I think the problem is elsewhere, but you never know!

Something else:

The video card if it has one, has wiggled loose...you will need to open the case to check. AGP cards can sometimes get loose> usually takes quite a bit to do that, like shipping across country.
    I've seen one that was too loose for the slot on the board, and wiggled out at the slightest movement.
    Only solution there was a hold-down clamp (sometimes a plastic cable tie will do).

I suppose the same would be true for any PCI (white slots) cards if they are missing the hold down screws.

A cable could have come loose> check that they are all on tight. Did anyone do anything inside the pc just before the move, any cleaning done inside perhaps?

Check the memory modules, see that they are down tight, but do not push down on them too hard!

**Unclip side holddowns, then push one side down till it clicks, push other side down till it clicks.

Are the fans that you can see working? It's often hard to tell...I smoke, so a cig comes in handy to check, the smoke goes one way or the other if a fan is running.

A little piece of paper held gently into fan will tell you quickly, too.

Do you get any beeps at all when the pc tries to start? on mine, no beeps

You may just need to hit the key, possibly the Delete key, where it says
    "Hit x key to enter Setup" when you start up. You may not be getting to that point, so:

One way that sometimes works to get the BIOS screen up is to boot up with NO keyboard plug in.

If you do manage to get into the BIOS, and if you know how to check the time and date etc, and some basic things like drives are detected correctly, processor is configured right, just Save and Exit the BIOS. You might have to enable the Default BIOS settings, and then save/exit BIOS. That configuration should allow the machine to start normally.

LAST> Turn off the pc, remove any printers or scanners etc. UNPLUG everything, especially the power cord going into the power supply on back of the PC, Open the case, get the small CMOS battery out. If you know how, move the plastic jumper over to the CLEAR position- remember to put it back to the NORMAL position and reinstall or replace the CMOS battery before you try to start up!!!!!

Let the thing sit for overnight if you have the patience, next day, replug everything except any printers etc, just the needed things like keyboard and mouse and power cord. Don't start up right away, give it a few minutes and try. If the fans turn a little and stop> if there is a switch on the back of the power supply, turn it off, and remove the power cord for 10+ minutes, plug the cord in and hit the switch...If nothing happens, hit the ON button, hold it in for a few seconds and see what happens.

If the same exact symptoms occur> it's probably very dead. Please post back what you run into!

The one I worked on had a bad floppy drive, but NONE would work and were working pulls, so I suspected then and there the mobo was kaput...

You can of course take your hard drive out and install it as a Slave drive in any computer running XP or win2k and should be able to rescue files> have someone help you with this if you need to.

I would appreciate you posting back with what you try and whether it helps or not.

3. osewfine

osewfine Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I had the mouse & keyboard reversed. I can't believe it was something so simple. You guys are great as usual.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hah- I KNEW I should have stopped at that point!:D :D

Now you know something about eMachines that might just come in handy later on.

I will mark this Solved for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice