1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2000 SP4- has modem and phone dialer- can't get modem to work- Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Windows 2000

I know I have the modem hooked up right, I know the dial up is hooked up right, It keeps saying there is no dial tone so I unchecked the dial tone detection and you could hear the modem dial up right away but it would dial once and then nothing. There is a phone dialer hooked up on this computer will that make a difference if it will dial out or not? there is only one place to plug the RJ11 line in. Most have the phone jack and the line jack this one doesn't. This guy had a bunch of spyware and a few trojans etc on his computer and asked it I would help him. I caught a bunch of stuff but I have to be able to dial up so I can update the programs I am running. Need some suggestions, Thanks The modem is a HCF 56K MCI Modem and like I said it is hooked up right you can query it and it gets answers and no dial tone but unchecking the dial tone detection box you can then hear it dial up but does it once and then nothing. I no the line is good.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did w2k id it or did you supply the drivers?

2k doesn't like a lot of hardware.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

The drives and all was done when I got the computer, I did uninstall and reinstall and it found the driver again. the driver is from 1999 would that make it not hear the dial tone or not work? If so Where can I find an updated driver? the one in it now is version 5.0.2167.1 1999 the modem is HCF 56K PCI Modem. I don't know what kind of computer it is it does not say so I suspect different parts someone probably built it, anyway any idea where I will find a better driver if you think that will work??

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I got it working, the modem must have been bad. I had an extra one and put it in and it dialed right up. Thanks for helping. I will close thiis thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/414723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice