1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2000 vs. XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Roe727, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roe727

Roe727 Thread Starter

I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between Windows 2000 and Windows XP? I would like to upgrade from Windows 98SE and would like to make the right move. I have access to a 2000 disc, but could probably get ahold of an XP disc if that is the better way to go.

2. vbaboon

vbaboon

windows xp is more popular and it has more drivers built in :)

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Both os work well. XP has system restore which can help you out when you have a bad driver install. XP has the cartoon look; even in classic view it is somewhat cute looking. XP takes up more in the way of system resources. XP is newer and [most likely] will have better hardware and software support in the future.

Win2k has a more business like look to it. There is no system restore and many things that xp does through a "wizard" you do manually. Win2k uses less in the way of system resources ie ram, hd space.

IMO win2k is for people who fully understand how to accomplish a given task. XP is more for people who do not fully understand or would rather not mess with configuring say a network.

I would say try and use both systems and see what you like.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think both responses are pretty much on target. I've had better luck putting XP on old hardware, but I personally use 2K on my two main systems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice