1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2000 Workgroup not on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dirfrops, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dirfrops

dirfrops Thread Starter

I have two windows 2000 computers on a simple network. Router is a linksys and I have it giving a generic DHCP that the simple linksys routers give...192.168.1.1 gateway to the router, with 192.168.1.100 as the starting IP. both computers are given static IPs with .100 and .101. They are both in the same Workgroup called "Workgroup".

My problem is that computer 1 will not see computer 2 in the network places and vice versa. However, I stick another computer in the router and test computer sees computer 2 in network places just fine, they can even connect and talk.

Pinging between computer 1, computer 2, and test computer work though so computer 1 isn't completely off the network.

There is no software firewall installed at all.

Computer 1 and Computer 2 both connect to the internet just fine. I ran windows update on both as well and it works too. But computer 1 and 2 still can't see each other in the workgroup.

Is this still a windows problem? Could the router be faulty? Does computer 1 have a faulty networking card?

Any insights?

Thanks for your help

Russ

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
    or
    PING <computer name>

Where:
    <ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
    <computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

3. dirfrops

dirfrops Thread Starter

Followed your instructions and found the following:

On computer 1, nbstat -n comes up with this error:
    Failed to access NBT driver > :Unknown error number

On computer 2 it appears to work just fine and pulls up a table.

When I do an ipconfig /all on computer 1 it says :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I went into the network card properties and clicked on TCPIP and properties, WINS, and tcp ip over netbios is checkmarked.

I can ping computer 2 from computer 1 with the IP, but the name of the computer does not ping.

I can ping computer 1 from computer 2 with the IP, but also the name does not ping.

I think that netbios over tcpip is the problem...i checked all the services and they are started and automatic. So if the network card thinks that netbios over tcpip is enabled, but an ipconfig /all says that it is not...where do i go from here.

Thanks again,
    Russ

4. JohnWill

Give this Automated WINSOCK Fix all Windows Versions a try, if that doesn't do it, we'll try the following stronger measures.

Attached is a ZIP file that has two registry scripts included. One removes all the WINSOCK entries from the registry, the second restores the installation default entries.

Merge the Del_winsock.reg entry into the registry first, then merge the W2k_winsock.reg into the registry after that.

Reboot and see if that changes the NETBIOS issue.

Attached Files:

5. dirfrops

dirfrops Thread Starter

Unfortunately, none of these fixes worked. I followed your instructions to the T and all the same things are occurring. Netbios over TCPIP says not installed when I do an ipconfig, yet it is checkmarked when I look at the NIC settings.

Russ

EDIT

I also did an uninstall and reinstall through device manager and let it reinstall itself before i used any of your most recent WINSock suggestions.

6. JohnWill

Check the event log and see if there are any errors noted that might relate to the failure of NETBIOS to start.

7. dirfrops

dirfrops Thread Starter

There are several event logs for something called NetBT. I presume that is the culprit. In fact the whole event log is riddled with them all over the place.

[​IMG]

Another event but less frequent is this: I am not sure if it is related or not. I am gonna do a search on monmouse.

[​IMG]

EDIT: monmouse is the driver for the touchscreen, nevermind on that one.

8. dirfrops

dirfrops Thread Starter

SOLVED...

With your suggestion to look at the Event Log, I Googled NetBT 4311 and got sent to another forum that suggested to uninstall TCP/IP. I thought uninstalling the network card and letting it reinstall would have taken care of that but obviously not. After uninstalling TCPIP, rebooting, reinstalling TCPIP and rebooting again, problem is solved. Everything is back online and I am seeing everyone on the network. Thanks a ton JohnWill, without your help I would never have seen the trail.

9. JohnWill

Glad it all worked out. The Event Log was about my last gasp, glad it pointed you in the right direction. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice