1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by beerman309, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beerman309

beerman309 Thread Starter

I reinstalled windows 2000 some time back because of some problems and now it shows that there are 2 sets of windows installed on my computer. How do go I about deleting one set of windows?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Make hidden files visible. Look for the boot.ini file in the root of your drive. Open it in Notepad and post its contents here.

You may not really have 2 installations--just 2 choices on the menu. Have you tried booting to each? Are they really the same one?

3. beerman309

Not quite sure how to do that. Sorry I'm still learning

4. beerman309

Okay i did a search and found it

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. It looks like you really do have 2 separate installations. Boot into each and decide which you want to keep. Then, you can format the aprtition that contains the one you don't want to keep.

6. beerman309

okay the bottom one i dont want but i have no idea how to format the aprtition and get rid of it. Im a beginner trying to learn

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice