Solved: Windows 2003 Cannot See Windows XP Machines in My Network Places?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JPar

Ok, I just started a new job and their domain is kind of screwy. They have a number of Windows 2000 machines running on a Windows 2003 AD domain. I am trying to get the AD integration for PC Duo running on this domain, but I am running into a problem. The machine I am using to test with, as well as every other Windows XP SP2 box, is missing from "My Network Places", which is what PC Duo uses to distribute clients remotely. I see all the Windows 2000 boxes fine. I found what could have been a viable solution, where I enabled File and Print Sharing in our Windows Firewall GPO, but all that did was give me every friggin domain in existence on the network, which totals well over 100. And I still couldn't see Windows XP boxes, which didn't help my problem anyway. Any thoughts on this? Where should I look?

JPar

Ok, it took me hours and hours of searching, but I found the problem.

Apparently, XP SP2 disables some services required by My Network Places to see and browse machines on a domain. These services are:
Workstation (needed to see computers in My Network Places)
Server (Needed to start Computer Browser)
Computer Browser (needed to browse computers in My Network Places)

Now, you don't NEED these services to run, and it's somewhat of a security hole to have them running all over your network, but they are required to run to both see and browse computers through My Network Places.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts