1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 2003 - Legal copy - Error 0x80004005 when trying to log in.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StumpedTechy, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I have a legal copy of Windows 2003 (stating this right out so I don't get the slams about geting something legal due to the error I am getting).

Here is how everything went down. My W2K3 server is a DNS, File, Print, and FTP server, and has my only scanner attached to it. All of this rolled into one server since there is such a light load (only 12 users). I only log onto it about once a week. Last week I accessed it just to do some scans and that was it. It was not rebooted. Also I will indicate my userid has full Domain Admin rights. This week I went to log in and I got the following error -

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80004005

This is right after I type in my password and hit enter. Okay I figure I will log in with the original Domain admin account this too gives me the same error. Rebooting to Safe mode I can log on to either of these 2 accounts so I do have PC access.

The other strange thing is the Restoring Network Connections portion of the standard logon is now taking about 20 minutes (when it used to only take 5) but the funny thing is it is acting 100% correctly even without anyone being logged on. I can access its shares even \\Server\C$ with my admin accounts. I can print to the print que. I can even resolve the DNS from the internet through my server. So its obvious that the server still has 100% capabilities and function. Even other users without Domain Admin rights have access to their shares.

Why is it NOT letting me log in in standard mode only? I did google until my eyes turned blue on the erro code but most reffer to XP and reactivation and a bunch of things I want to try them on my 2003 server but don't want to break it as we have so many services being performed without redundancy (yeah I know big issue I want to address but don't have the money to).

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Why would you be slammed for the error you get?

It looks to me that your accounts may be corrupted. Try making a new account and see if that happens

3. StumpedTechy

Nah All the posts I read said this error is caused by an Illegit copy so I wanted to point it out right offhand.

You think even the Admin admin account on the domain is corrupted? I can log into the domain from the other PC's. Thats why I didn't try that at all..

I'll give that a try but if anyone has any other suggestions I'ld love to hear them. This is just strange! I can't try this until tonight as its all in use right now. TIA

4. StumpedTechy

Just an FYI I was forced to do a repair install over the top. I hate doing that because of the potential for screwing up your apps but it all seemed to work out. Nothing messd up in DNS or AD, all programs open and funtion... Only time will tell at this point.

New user Id's didn't do it. I could not disable activation and then try to reactivate it since it won't let you run the msoobe.exe in safe mode.... I was stuck but it looks good.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice