1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7/8 Sorts Desktop Icons in Reverse Order

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by johndefresno, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johndefresno

johndefresno Thread Starter

The subject line tells it all. I am open to any suggestions!

I note that an old thread, virtually unanswered, received this reply:
    "Well how many times a week do you need to sort the desktop icons for it to become annoying?
    I personally don't use any of the sort-order preferences (non selected)...."

Well, that was a non-answer. I, too, face this inconvenience, and wonder why Windows would default to a descending search for the Desktop.

Probably like the person who first posted for help, I frequently add and delete different shortcuts as I work through the most current tasks and projects.

I don't generally think in reverse, so it is not as easy to find my alphabetized task when it is sorted in reverse order. This requires clicking on the "Sort by Name" twice to rearrange the icons, every time one is deleted or added. Inefficient, annoying, and a waste of time.

So again - is there anybody out there with a definitive answer to this reverse sort problem?

Thanks! Here is my system info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12212 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 943621 MB, Free - 629189 MB;
    Motherboard: Type2 - Board Vendor Name1, Type2 - Board Product Name1
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Right click sort by and choose required order.
    A SECOND sort by the same thing reverses the sequence.

3. johndefresno

Yes, Dave, that is a given. Thank you for the quick reply.

But I work on projects all the time, including programming tasks, and should not have to drag the mouse over and click twice every time I add or delete a shortcut on the Desktop.

Having searched the Internet with this question at least a dozen different ways, it appears that there is no answer.

Thank you just the same.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    With the icons already in desired order - Right click empty part of the Desktop > View, click to tick 'Auto arrange icons' - that should do it.

5. johndefresno

Thank you. Tried it. Doesn't work. Perhaps this is an anomaly for this computer, a Toshiba Satellite, although I can't imagine why.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think there may ba a registry entry called something like auto update under the desktop key, but you should look it up.

7. johndefresno

No fix in the registry, Dave. But I found a solution.

I updated to Windows 10.

Thank you and - Cheers!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice