1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 and pdf files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by technomum, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. technomum

technomum Thread Starter

On my new Windows 7, 64bit PC I can not print any pdf files that I download from the Internet as it says I have not chosen which pages to print, but I have. I can open the same websites on my laptop (Windows7, 32 bit) and download and print all the files. How do I get around this please? On some sites I can't even view the pdf or save it to PC let alone print.

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Go to IE "Tools" then open "Manage Add-Ons" When you have this open disable all Adobe plugins. After you do this go to Download.com and download Foxit Reader http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php and make it your default PDF reader. Once you do this close out of IE8 completely and then open again. Once you do this and open a PDF in the browser Foxit Reader will open it in the browser and you will be able to save and print it.

3. technomum

technomum Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for the help. I actually have tried Foxit but got in a muddle when it kept showing dialogue boxes with questions I couldn't answer. I did indeed manage to open and print a pdf file with it but I do prefer Adobe Acrobat (probably because I have used it for years). I know I can open files with Foxit but I did wonder if I could get Adobe to work properly - and I would like to know if it is because my PC is 64 bit - or could it be because I use IE9? This does have issues with certain other websites but I didn't think it could be the gremlin behind the pdf files. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

4. technomum

technomum Thread Starter

Further to my earlier posting, I made Foxit my default reader again to try once more but I still can't download a file on a web page or even open it to be able to save it. I get a dialogue box saying Open, Save or Save As. If I try saving either way I get the correct box to choose where to save it but nothing happens at all, and if I try to open it I get a dialogue box called "FoxitReaderOCX Control properties" with a "General" tab but nothing in the box. I can choose OK or Cancel but Apply is greyed out and I end up cancelling then I am back to square one. Any ideas, please, as I can't seem to manage Foxit or Adobe on this computer?

5. Firebreather

Firebreather

Can you uninstall and re-install the printer software?

6. technomum

technomum Thread Starter

Sorry to be obtuse Firebreather, do you mean my HP wireless printer or the pdf program? Everything else prints ok and it is still a matter of not even being able to open the pdf files on a web page and save them to PC, which doesn't involve the printer.

7. Firebreather

Firebreather

8. technomum

technomum Thread Starter

Hi again. Thanks for the links. I have been doing a little detective work and it looks like it is IE9 causing my problems. My work-around is that I have downloaded Firefox and tried the online documents through that. I can now save the document to my PC and then open and print through Foxit. It is a nuisance to have to pick and choose browsers and programs for various actions when everything used to work ok. IE9 is definitely not compatible with everything and Adobe Acrobat seems to prefer 32bit PCs. Hopefully one day they will get their acts together. Meanwhile, thanks again for your input.

9. Firebreather

Firebreather

Glad your problem was solved. :)

10. technomum

technomum Thread Starter

Just in case anyone else has followed the problem of not being able to print pdf files from the web, I got in a pickle with Foxit reader trying to get me to have the Ask toolbar all the time. I uninstalled Acrobat and Foxit then re-installed Adobe Acrobat and I am pleased to say it is working fine and printing all files.

11. marksm

marksm

Glad to know that every thing is working. There are many PDF software available on web which helps in PDF printing but few of them really works. I am using classic PDF editor and it most users friendly, fast and reliable PDF software which allows to create, view, edit and convert any PDF file.

You may try it, to know it works? It is available on CNET free downloads here. :cool:

Hope above information helps you. After using it, don't forget to come back to share your views.

Thanks

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice