1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 automatic downloads

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by webby048, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webby048

webby048 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Geoff
    Hi All,
    I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on December 27 and opted for automaticupdates. Just lately when shutting down I get a message "do not power offcomputer - installing 1 of 5 updates" This is the third time I havereceived this message so I checked "update history" and foud thatsince December 27 microsoft downloaded 338 updates!
    Is this normal ?
    With thelast five totalling 62.9MB I'm sure I could be forgiven for assuming that microsoft have gone into thebuisiness of selling extra memory drives.
    Your advice would be appreciated

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

When you look in your update history do the last five updates show as successful or failed?

As you probably installed Windows 7 without Service Pack 1 there would have been a lot of updates to install, not all will be for Windows 7, some may be for other products, Office, Defender, etc.

3. webby048

webby048 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Geoff
    They were all successful - the 338 were all flagged successful too. Thank's for the hint.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome and in that case there is no need for you to be concerned.

Please click on the Thread Tools tab at the top of the thread and mark it as solved.

5. webby048

webby048 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Geoff
    Hi Guys,
    after checking my Updates history I noted that for the past 6 or so days Automatic updates had installed the same 5 Security updates again and again - sort of like groundhog day...
    I contacted microsoft and they are aware of the problem - called it "update conflict" where my update controller was istalling them but failing to "register" them with microsoft meaning that at the next check in time, the same updates were still required and subsequently downloaded. Thankfully they were overwriting themseves so there was no memory problem.
    Microsoft kindly rectified the problem by manually installing them for me.
    Thanks to everone who looked in.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Thanks for letting us know about that, that information may come in useful in the future.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice