1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 Boot - Grey Screen -

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Coolyou, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coolyou

Coolyou Banned Thread Starter

This just happened yesterday evening. Currently I'm running Windows 7 64bit (system specs posted below), everything was running superb until after I decided to evaluate Faronics 'DeepFreeze'. After installing that POS, the application stated it would automatically reboot the system...that wasn't a lie. After the installation it killed everything currently running and exited immediately and rebooted. So, during boot...it took over 45 seconds at the 'Welcome' screen, then displayed a Grey Blank screen with the animated cursor for about a minute. After that finished, still no desktop, nor a login to access the system. So, I read ctrl-alt-shift-F5 brings up the login...I log in and still a grey screen, eventually everything loads, but with problems. Action center displays the firewall is disabled...also the network adaptor has an X around it, which funny enough TCP has all static entries, sidebar widgets are loaded but display a rectangular box no graphic.

After removing Faronics DeepFreeze ... rebooted several times , safe mode , safe mode networking. All result in LONG boot times and the Grey blank screen. Eventually, everything will load. Well, I have default acronis image backed up to a separate drive. I've loaded that...the issue CONTINUES to persist. That image is fine, I loaded it several times after I imaged it! I then tried booting from a Fedora Live USB pen, everything loads fine...no hangs nothing. I installed Fedora, no hangs or anything...even imaged the system with an old copy of acronis XP and that worked flawlessly. I reformatted the drive with the USB Live pen twice...then reimaged the system with my Windows 7 image... here I am, the issue continues to persist! So, uninstalled nvidia network and display drivers, reboot ... issue persists ... reinstalled the drivers ... issue does not seem to resolve itself.

Images display exactly as directly AFTER installing Faronics 'DeepFreeze' and the CURRENT state after formating... and several other OS installs. Windows 7 just doesnt seem to work now.

Immediately after Safemode starts, Help and Support usually displays it's information...it is not here.
    [​IMG]

TCP/DHCP dependencies sit at "Starting"... with the system running for over an hour now, still starting.
    [​IMG]

"Failed to connect to windows service..."
    [​IMG]

Red X on lan icon ... settings are manual ... also Event log is started but unable to access.
    [​IMG]

This is a fresh image... I can vmware it and works fine, a day ago and the day before the same image worked fine, no changes were made to the image itself.

Code:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    EVGA nForce 750i SLI
    EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
    OCZ2P10662G PC2-6400 DDR2-SDRAM UDIMM x 2

Suggestions?

2. Lance1

Lance1

Have you tried a clean install of Windows 7? Or a system restore point?

3. Coolyou

Coolyou Banned Thread Starter

What would that do over an image that was never touched from this software?

May have the solution....not sure yet, since this is on an SSD drive it may need a special wipe done.

4. antech

antech Banned

Not sure,
    but does a SSD Drive need some special wiping?
    Think the procedure of installing windows is same as that on the hard disks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice