1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 clock issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Maru1, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

Hello!

I have a clock issue in Windows 7. The time that windows is showing is not correct, it always runs two hours ahead. For example, as you can see in the attached pic, the time says 15:01 and it should be 13:01 because this is correct time for my time zone.

The issue is related to the Linux. I have set up a dual boot Ubuntu/Win 7 and as I understand the Windows OS reads time from UTC from Linux or something like that. Some suggested that issue will be resolved if i turn of UTC time in Linux, I did that but the issue still remains in Windows 7. I can update the time manually but after a few minutes it goes back two hours ahead!

Can someone suggest a solution for my problem?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. pharoh

pharoh

Have you got the correct time zone set

start/control panel/clock language region/date and time/change the time zone

3. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

Yes, I have. UTC+01:00, which is my time zone...

4. pharoh

pharoh

set the clock two hours behind from your correct time and tell us the result,

5. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

I did, manually. It stays two hours behind during the session, but when i reboot it goes two hours ahead of correct time as usual. Without logging into Ubuntu, just ordinary rebooting of Windows :confused:

6. pharoh

pharoh

Was there a time when the clock was running normal on this w 7 installation.?

Also what country are you in?

7. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

yes it was running normal when i installed Win7 ... i'm almost sure that the problem is because of dual installation. That said, there was no problem for, i don't know, couple of months with both OS installed... and then, one day time just changed in Win7! Dunno why... or what triggered it. I looked for a solution, but as I didn't find any, I just left it like that...
    Is there a way to reset those clocks set them up again from scratch?

Croatia :eek:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Lots of Ubuntu time information here.

As I understand it Windows prior to Vista SP2 defaults to "local" time while Vista SP2 and Windows 7 default to UTC. So, if you do not change Windows for Ubuntu's /etc/default/rcS you want UTC=yes if you are dual booted with the more recent Windows and UTC=no for older Windows.

Those are the settings I have for my dual boot XP/Ubuntu (UTC=no) and for my Ubuntu running as VirtualBox guest in Windows 7 host (UTC=yes).

9. pharoh

pharoh

make sure correct country is set in region and language.

control panel./clock language and region/region and language/change location

10. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

The country in "region and language" is correct

11. Maru1

Maru1 Thread Starter

You were right Terry! Setting UTC=yes in /etc/default/rcS fixes the clock in Win7 - it is now showing correct time!
    Thanks!

Also, thank you to Pharoh for trying to help!

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice