1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 - disk defragmenter doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hotskates, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

It appears I can't run my disk defragmenter anymore. Every time when I'm trying to analyze the disk, it shows 0% although it's been about 3 months since I last time defragmented it, so it must have some kind of fragmentation. Also, when I highlight for example "system" and click defragment nothing happens. Before when I highlighted system and clicked degragment, the % number would show up and start going from 1 to 2, etc........ Now it just acts like it is turned off. It doesn't work on any of the 4 category choices (OS, Recovery, system, and my external hard drive).

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Unless you've changed it, Windows 7 will automatically defragment itself every so often (I think the default is Wednesday nights). It's therefore entirely possible that there's no problem after all.

If that doesn't seem likely, I suggest you pick up another defrag tool (such as Piriform's defraggler) and see what it makes of your drive. Bear in mind that it over-reports some things, such as including the page file in the analysis even though it can't do anything to it.

3. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I have had the automatic defrag feature turned off for three months, so it hasn't been defragged and now it won't.

4. jenae

jenae

Hi, windows seven introduced a new service for defrag, to check if it is not disabled go to start, search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

sc query defragsvc > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) post the notepad outcome here.

You can control defrag via the cmd prompt as well, from an elevated cmd (as shown) to analyse say C: drive you would type:-

defrag - a c: , to defrag the drive type defrag c:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice