1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 laptop trouble

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rlc13, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

Hello, I am having trouble with a laptop and could really use some help.

My wife has a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 7.
    I7 2670 QM CPU
    2.2 ghz
    6gb ram
    64 bit OS

For the last few days her computer has been running extremely slowly. I am waiting up to 5 minutes for the start menu to appear in safe mode. I have used task manager to look at the CPU performance and it always says 0% even when it is doing something. I tried running AVAST and Norton on it, but after 15 minutes it hadn't moved past 1% and froze. Sometimes when I use ctrl+alt+del, I get the menu and sometimes I get a message that says windows was unable to generate shutdown options. In general, I can't run any programs successfully.

Also, I have very little ability to connect to the Internet. Most times the network will say it is there, but won't ever connect. If I do get connected, I have trouble opening a window before everything freezes.

I checked and she has not added any programs since the computer was last used.

What I have done:
    I have used C Cleaner to clean up start up and registry files; system restore; I have run a bit defender scan, and I have attempted to run Avast and Norton, but was unable to complete the scans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roy,

2. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

UPDATE:
    I finally got Avast to run in safe mode. No viruses or malware were found, but I did get two errors:

C:\program files\windowsmediaplayer\wmpnscfg.exe ERROR: The request could not be performed because of an I/O evice error (1117)

C:\windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-wmpnss-ux_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_13b9b4b7d327a721\wmpnscfg.exe ERROR: The semaphore timeout period has expired (121)

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    How many anti-virus programs are actually installed in that computer?

"Cleaning" the registry can damage Windows and break programs and generate error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer.

What's the complete model number of that Toshiba Satellite?
    (It'll be 2 sets of numbers and letters separated by a dash)

---------------------------------------------------------

4. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

Hello Flavallee.

I currently have 2 anti virus programs. I ran the bit defender from the website. It took a long time, but did run. I installed Avast after the problems started occurring. According to the installation, the method I used to install it made it a secondary program. I have not been able to run Norton.

The model number is P775-S5390

Didn't know about the problems with the registry cleaner. Her computer has been slow almost since we got it (not like this though). I am starting to wonder if there is a hardware malfunction. So frustrated right now.

Roy,

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You cannot have 2 or more antivirus programs installed in the same computer because they will fight each other and bog it down and cause various issues.

You need to uninstall one of them.

I recommend uninstalling Norton, then running its removal tool afterwards so it can find and get rid of its leftover "debris".

------------------------------------------------------------

Which country do you live in?

I can't find the support and downloads site for the Toshiba Satellite P775-S5390 laptop at the U.S.A. support site.

------------------------------------------------------------

6. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

My apologies, the model # is P755-S5390 and I do live in the US.

I have uninstalled Norton. My computer is still not running any faster, but I did get Avast up for a few minutes before it locked up. Still almost no CPU usage. Task Manager registered at 1% and Windows Problem reporting used 3% for a few seconds.

I was able to get online and use the Norton removal tool, but took a long time to get Chrome to open and several minutes to even get my network connection icon on the program bar (lower right corner) to show it was connected).

Roy,

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and downloads site for the Toshiba Satellite P755-S5390 laptop.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't use and I refuse to use the Google Chrome browser, so I can't really address any issues with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

You may want to run diagnostics on your hard drive as well. I worked on a Dell a few days ago with the same symptoms. Yanked the hard drive and put it in another laptop, same issue. After running the Seagate diagnostics tool with boot disc, it found the drive drive had been SMART tripped and bad sectors all over the place. Replaced the hard drive and so far so good.

9. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

Flavallee,

I appreciate your help. I will look that site up in a while, it takes a long time for my computer to connect to anything. I am not having a problem with Chrome outside of the same issue as every other program on my computer. [I did get onto that update site and it has been saved to my favorites.]

Cause I'm curious, what's wrong with Chrome? I recently started using it when my IE stopped opening links, so I haven't had time to find any problems with it yet.

Roy,

10. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

Hello EpicNetworkGroup and thanks for your input.

I tried running the DOS version of the Seagate utility from a bootable CD as the website suggested and was advised that it could not find a drive to check. Any thoughts?

Roy,

11. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

EpicNetworkGroup,

I should add that I ran a check from the defrag utility and it hung up at 53%. I tried a chkdsk and it stopped at 58%.

Roy,

12. rlc13

rlc13 Thread Starter

EpicNetworkGroup,

I ran a chkdsk /r and the program repaired three sections. All seems well now, so hopefully nothing else popsup. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Roy,

13. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

Excellent...glad to hear it. Make sure you have good regular backups in place. Those types of errors have a tendency to worsen over time and of course will break down at the worst possible time.

Best wishes...

ENG

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice