1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 Problem Setting Default Programs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 1-Bill-1, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1-Bill-1

1-Bill-1 Thread Starter

I'm using IE11 and it appears that I'm having trouble setting IE as my default browser. This problem is new (last few days) but when I go to Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs>Set Your Default Programs, the window that appears does NOT include Internet Explorer. However, when I go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs, I note that it says "Internet Explorer is not my default browser", so I check "Make default", and it changes to "Internet Explorer is my default browser", and I click on OK. However, it does not save this setting and reverts to "Internet Explorer is not my default browser". Now, if IE is NOT my current web browser, then why if I click on the IE icon in my toolbar, IE11 opens normally. Please explain!

Bill

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There's little to explain. That's how shortcuts are supposed to work. The default browser will open if you click on something like a URL.

3. 1-Bill-1

1-Bill-1 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I now understand about the shortcut but it still doesn't answer my problem of why I do NOT see "Internet Explorer" listed in the list of "Default Programs". If it's not listed, how do I get it listed there? Some time ago, someone at TSG responded to a query about a similar subject and their answer was to "insure that Internet Explorer was listed as the default browser". Once I can rest assured that IE is, in fact, my default browser, I can then move on to determine the real source of my problem and that is why whenever I click on any link shown in all web pages and Windows Live Mail produce an "Application not found" error window! As I initially posted, this is an issue that only started a few days ago and need to determine how to fix it! I can copy the link & paste it into the browser, but that should'nt be necessary. I've also run AV & anti-spyware software and any problems found were "supposedly" deleted. Suggestions, please!

Bill

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What other browsers are installed on your computer?

5. 1-Bill-1

1-Bill-1 Thread Starter

Only Internet Explorer 11.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I didn't answer the real problem 'cause I dunno. :( And still don't. See if this gets anywhere useful ...

Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs>Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program. Scroll down to near the bottom and select HTTP. What is the current default? Can you 'Change program...' to IE?

7. 1-Bill-1

1-Bill-1 Thread Starter

Terry,

Been there, done that, for "html", htm", and "htt". I have no "http" listed in my Associated File List. It did not help! I appreciate your admitting "you don't know" the answer since I was beginning to question my sanity!!!!! Any other suggestions, I'm willing to try except screwing with the registry! I'm not comfortable with that unless I get tried and true "cookbook" instructions!

Bill

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Well if you only have one browser, then selecting a default browser is not necessary. That's why you don't see it.

I have 3 browsers so all are listed, because I have to select a default browser.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    But it sure is convenient. :) Most of us like to be able to click on a link or a URL shortcut and have it opened automagically (in the default browser).

10. 1-Bill-1

1-Bill-1 Thread Starter

Well, I decided to contact the local computer store where I purchased the computer and told him of the problem. He suggested that I do a System Restore dating back to when this problem first appeared. So I did and it worked! Now clicking on all links in both Internet websites and Windows Live Mail open normally. I'll have to re-load two program files that were installed in the interim but it's a small price to pay! I have no clue as to what caused the problem initially but hope this helps others with the same issue. Many thanks to all who responded!

Bill

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice