1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 Restore/Install Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BGrant, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite A-215, all original hardware, that I was trying to do a restore on yesterday before I gave it to my friend. Well it was nearing the end of the installation progress, but had seemed to have stalled, when the computer got unplugged. That was very bad because the battery in it is shot and it will only run on AC power.
    So it shut off during the install. I start it back up and I get this error:
    "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered and unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and the restart installation."

I press okay and it restarts and gives the same error. I repeated this cycle a dozen times with no variance in the outcome. I tried putting in a BIOS disk and the original Vista disk that came with it. Nothing is making a difference. What should I do?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There are numerous Toshiba Satellite A215 models.

There should be a dash and additional numbers and letters after A215

---------------------------------------------------------------

What's the complete version of Windows Vista on the disc that you have?

Is the CD/DVD drive set first in the boot order in the BIOS?

You might consider getting a replacement battery for it.

3. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

I actually don't have the computer in front of me at the moment but I am pretty sure it is the S7437 but I won't be able to confirm that until later.
    Again I can't be sure about the Vista disc until I get home but I think it is Home Premium. The 7 disc that I have is Home Premium.
    I do not know about the drive order.
    I thought about getting a battery but I got a new computer instead. I am giving the computer to a friend and he can get a battery if he needs one.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and driver downloads site for the Toshiba Satellite A215-S7437 laptop.

You might want to add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it as needed.

According to its "Detailed Specs", it came with Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit) installed.

If you need to order a recovery disc kit for that laptop, it may still be available by going here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

Sorry to be unresponsive for a few days, but I've been a bit swamped.
    Anyway the machine is actually an S7422 not S7437. I found the Vista disc at home but upon booting with it, it tells me to insert the next disc and I only have one. I may have had 2 disc once upon a time but I cant remember. I have had this machine for about 5 years.
    I put a Windows 32bit recovery on a USB and booted from it but the only thing it did was sit on a black screen. If I boot the computer up normally it tells me bootmgr is missing. I tried to use the recovery partition but I can't get it to come up by the instructions from Toshiba so I'm guessing it doesn't have one. I just burned the same Windows 7 32bit to a disc so I will see if that works.
    If Vista is what come on the machine do I need to recover to it or can I recover to 7 since that's most recently installed on it?
    I got Toshiba's number and will call them as well to see if they can shed any light.
    One last question, both Versions of windows that I have had on the machine were x32 but most of what I am finding is x86/x64. Would I be able to recover with a x64 version?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and downloads site for the Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422 laptop.

According to its "Detailed Specs", it also came with Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit) pre-installed.

A recovery disc kit for it may still be available here.

If you use a recovery disc kit, you can only revert back to its original factory condition with the same Windows version that came in it.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

Okay so to restore it I will have to have a Windows Vista recovery disc. I already looked there and I couldn't find anything. Would a normal Vista ISO work or do I need a recovery disc specifically? I have been trying to find both online but all I ever find is help on creating one not downloading them.

8. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

If I download this would I be able to recover with it?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Doing a recovery back to a computer's original factory condition(which includes all the original OEM "bloatware") and doing a clean install of Windows are entirely different processes.

You need to understand the difference between both processes and what's involved.

Personally, I would do a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit) and then install the necessary device drivers.

Your link in post #8 will not help you.

---------------------------------------------------------

10. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

I understand there is a difference I was just wondering if I could use that file to do a recovery.
    I have tried to do a clean install of windows 7 but it won't go.
    So I should try to do a clean install of Vista and then upgrade to 7 again?
    Thank you for your help.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's no need to do a clean install of Windows Vista and then upgrade to Windows 7.

You can do a clean install of Windows 7.

I'm not there to see what you're doing or what you're using, so I don't know why you're having trouble doing a clean install of Windows 7.

Read here.

---------------------------------------------------------

12. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

I will try the 7 install again tonight and I will report back with the problems so that you will have a better idea of the issues I'm having.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    (y)

14. BGrant

BGrant Thread Starter

I don't know what happened the first time but it installed this time.
    I have another issue though. It won't take my activation code. I triple checked the characters and then triple checked them again and it just keeps saying invalid key.
    It's the same one that I used on it the first time. I used the same key on my wife's old Toshiba and mine so did I reach a limit with that key? I don't understand why it won't take it.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You cannot use the same 25-character product key to activate Windows 7 on multiple computers, unless you've purchased a license that allows you to do so.

When you purchase a Windows 7 disc, you're actually paying for the license and not the disc.

------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice