1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 System Image Restore

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IsolatedSnail, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Been awhile since I've been around here. I'm stuck with a new problem. My desktop's OS hard drive crashed/is crashing. After testing several pieces of hardware and reseating numerous items, I got lucky and was able to boot into safe mode, once. My event viewer is full of disk errors. Pages and pages of disk errors. :mad: *Side note: Sure would've been nice if Windows would have said something */End Side note* So I have a Windows System Image and Windows Backup on a secondary drive that appears healthy. But I'm just curious what I'm looking at when my new hard drive gets here. Has anyone ever used the Windows 7 Image Backup/Restore utility? Can you use the image on a different hard drive or just when repairing the original? Will my programs be saved or just data? Just curious questions. :) All of my Google searches are bringing up reviews about the utility from the Win 7 RC days so I'm not real sure what I'm getting myself into here.

I have an old image using Clonezilla, would it be better to use that? My Windows backup executes every Monday morning.

Thanks for any tips, pointers, or explanations of how all this is going to work.

I appreciate you guys more than you know.

-Kyle

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If the new hard drive is the same size/type as the old one
    it is probably going to run smoothly.
    You will need to boot to the windows DVD and select repair options.
    It will have restore selections.
    I have run into problems trying to use a different size hard drive and
    had to just go ahead and do a clean install.
    Only way to find out is try it as windows 7 backup seems to be sensitive
    to hardware changes.
    Something like acronis true image is better,but it's not free.

3. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail Thread Starter

Worked like a charm! Thanks leroys1000!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice