Solved: Windows 7 Toshiba A505 Windows Boot Manager and Recovery Media failed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aaronb1985

Ok, so things have gone to pot and I don't know where the fault lies between a damned virus and my own mistakes in trying to fix the laptop.
I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S69803; serial number Y9340538Q, with Windows 7, 500Gb HDD at 5400rpm and 4Gb RAM... I think that's all correct.

Anyway, long story short, I got a b!tch of a virus, which apparantly was doing all sorts of nasty things to the explorer.exe file in particular. So I backed up all my important stuff: files, Uni work, writings, music and photos etc onto an external hard-drive and went about restoring the laptop to out-of-box factory settings by making the Windows 7 Recovery Media Discs. But when I try to use the discs I get told after about 30 minutes The Toshiba Recovery Wizard "Can't read from the source file or disk: PREINST5.SW5" with options to: Try Again (The same thing happens), or Skip (Same message again), or Cancel (in which case I'm back where I started).

After the Recovery Wizard failed I chose the option to erase the hard-drive; it then appeared that when I turn on the laptop as normal I was told <Error>: F3-F200-0002 and the Recovery Media Disks still refuse to work.

Now, if I turn on the laptop as normal a message t
elling me to insert the installation disc, choose language and click "repair your computer". So I put in the recovery disc and get the same message.

Toshiba can't help as my A505 is an American model in Britain and out of warranty anyway. Europe Toshiba HQ don't supply the recovery media for the A505 and the American based Toshiba aren't allowed to send the Recovery Media to Europe; so apparantly I get no help from them. And Microsoft can't help me because my laptop was purchased with everything pre-installed so the codes associated with my Windows and Office are comletely irrelevent.

I have been told that I need to purchase a compeltely new hard-drive and purchase Windows 7 brand new to get my laptop back up and running. Purchasing a new OS isn't too much of an issue because I can just get XP for a tenner, validate it with Microsoft and then get a student upgrade onto W7-Ult for £60. So £70 in total, I'm fine with that. But do I need a new hard-drive too? Or can I rescue everything I already had?

aaronb1985

Wow! 180 views and so much assistance. Thank you, all.

Sorry, not meaning to sound sarcastic, I just expected a bit of help; even if it was to tell me I had been idiotic screwed it up myself and may as well throw the laptop away!

Regardless, I am only replying today to say that I believe the problem has resolved itself. I was able to use an image of Windows XP to place drivers and an OS on the hard drive. From there I was able to use the Recovery Discs afforementioned, which have now worked and I have Win7 back up and running. It wasn't as simple as I just made it sound because I don't really understand how I have fixed it, but fixed it I have.

Sorry you got no replies. Long-ish posts tend to put some helpers off - I'll admit to being one of those.
Don't forget we are all volunteers here - nobody gets paid or earns any points etc.

aaronb1985

Ironically long posts should be more simple to resolve than the issues of people who don't elaborate and end up having to answer question after question from the volunteers before any help or advice can be accurately given.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online