1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 update reset everything?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sidon3, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

Okay, so I was using my computer (Toshiba Satelite, Windows 7 64 bit) as usual today, then that window thing popped up asking me to restart my computer to make system updates or whatever, like it usually does.

When it was done it brought me to my desktop screen, but I noticed a few things were different. First, my background image was gone, and when I went on my start menu, all the programs I had pinned on there had disappered!

It was like I turned on my computer for the first time ever, and all the default programs were reset to the originals.

I looked in my library to make sure all my documents were still there...and they were all gone.

So, I did a little more digging and found that all of the programs I had before were still installed, so that's good. And then I went to my user folder and found all my documents. However, they don't show up in my library folders!

I just don't know how to get things back to the way before. I really hope someone else knows how to get everything back.

None of my default stuff if the same, all of my preferences have been reset!!

All of my fonts that I've downloaded are gone, as are all my themes...

2. Droghini123

Droghini123

looks something went wrong with your user profile.

is user account control enabled?
    try to reboot the system and log in with your user account.

also check in the users folder on your C drive if there are any other user folders except for your userfolder, default user folder and public.

oh, and if nothing of the above makes sense you can just restore to an earlier restore point using system restore. :)

3. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

I tried to reboot but nothing changed! So I did a restore and things are working fine now! Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice