Solved: Windows 7 upgrade or normal?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

doctorzeus

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a windows 7 upgrade pack for my vista laptop,

now I play around with the OS's a lot and I was wondering that if something went wrong and I lost the data and/or HDD and had to do a compleately new re-install would the upgrade pack still work?

Any help would be great..

Thanks

Doctorzeus

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
A few more words :D :D
The only Difference ... The W7 upgrade can only be installed in one computer ..
and not moved to another.
Once installed .. It forever belongs to the computer it was originally installed in.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you heard of Drive Imaging ???
Windows 7 can do this .. But Macrium is probably better.
See Here for starters.

I can reload Windows in about 20 minutes .. rewrite the HDD .. or Write a new one

A few more words :D :D
The only Difference ... The W7 upgrade can only be installed in one computer ..
and not moved to another.
Once installed .. It forever belongs to the computer it was originally installed in.
That's only true for the Anytime Upgrade when used to upgrade an OEM copy of Windows. The Anytime upgrade becomes a permanent part of the OS you upgrade and can't be uninstalled.
If the OS you upgraded was OEM, it can't be transferred. If it was Retail, it can be transferred as long as the original OS is transferred with it.

If it's not an Anytime upgrade, the upgrade can be uninstalled (reverting to the previous OS) and the upgrade transferred to another PC as long as the new PC has a valid license for a qualifying version of Windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online