1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jampot, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

I have recently purchased an upgrade disc for windows 7 Home Premium Edition

On closer inspection I noticed that the disc only provides upgrade for Vista as well as a clean install for XP.

The PC that I wanted to upgrade is running Windows 7 Starter edition which is pretty useless in terms of functionality - not even allowing basic options such as changing desktop wallpaper.

Am I able to use the disc I have purchased to upgrade from Windows Starter Edition to Home Premium or will this not work?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

According to Microsoft, upgrading from Starter to Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate is supported. Can you post a link to what you bought so I can see the exact description?

3. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Not sure how to post a link but if it helps I purchased the disc from www.argos.co.uk. According to the box it is advertised as an upgrade designed for Windows Vista/XP

On the disc it states Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade includes Windows Anytime Upgrade.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The easiest way to find out is to try it. It will tell you fairly soon in the process whether it will work or not, and you will have options to cancel.

5. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Pretty sound advice

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I didn't mean it sarcastically. It is what I would do. :D

7. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Hey no offence, apologies if it came over that way - I did actually mean that it was sound advice - maybe the post was a bit short.

Peace

8. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Problem solved! inserted Vista upgrade disc and started install. Got message advising that could not upgrade from one version of windows (Starter) to another. It did advise however that upgrade could be completed via Windows Anytime Upgrade.
    From there it was just a case of inputting the product key that came with the disc and around 20 minutes later the install was complete!
    So much better - now able to change wallpaper (I know you can do this in Starter via some sort of download but it's fiddly and I have heard stories about PC's crashing afterwards). Also cool features like windows snap and thumnail views are now available!
    Thanks to all who posted

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice