Solved: Windows 7 wifi connection problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sanjosespain

We’ve got a problem with our Comtrend router, which seems very odd. Router works fine on the LAN.
Neither of our Windows 7 laptops can see the WLAN signal, but an old XP laptop can. Both our iPhones can see and connect to the WLAN.
Both the Windows 7 laptops can see and connect to our separate Nijarnet account (a separate and independent wifi system that we have running as a backup) – so we know that our laptops work.

The WLAN is activated as normal on the router, the Telefonica diagnostics say all is fine.
The Comtrend diagnostics tell me that the following tests fail, but that they may not be important and probably not to worry, but I'm not sure...

Test the connection to your local network

Test your Wireless Connection:
PASS
Help

Test the connection to your DSL service provider

Test ADSL Synchronization:
PASS
Help
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping:
FAIL
Help
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping:
FAIL
Help

Test the connection to your Internet service provider

Test PPP server connection:
PASS
Help
Test authentication with ISP:
PASS
Help
Test the assigned IP address:
PASS
Help
Ping default gateway:
FAIL
Help
Ping primary Domain Name Server:
N/A
Help
Test Loopback IP:
PASS
Help

We’ve ordered another router, but it will be a couple of weeks before it arrives.
Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m assuming and hoping that it’s some simple configuration somewhere .... it’s like the routeris saying I don’t want to connect to Windows 7 laptops any more. Many thanks for any advice you can give.

sanjosespain

Channel 12. I changed it before to Channel 1, as some suggested that only 1-11 should be used, but I note it's back to 12 again. Should I try changing it again?

TerryNet

Terry
My guess is that you are in the European region, where Wi-Fi channels are 1-13, but have adapters/drivers that are limited to or configured for another region (e.g., North America uses 1-11).

sanjosespain

Yes, I'm a Brit living in Spain, so I have the double problem of fighting with the technology as well as the language. But normally I get by pretty well. So are you saying I should change the channel?

TerryNet

Terry
If it's what I suggested changing the channel should be the quickest and easiest solution.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online