1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 with Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mairin, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mairin

Mairin Thread Starter

Hey all. I'm a newcomer here and a relative novice with hardware issues past simply installing cards and drives so be gentle. Basically I've been wanting to run dual monitors for a while and for Christmas my sister finally got me a second so I could give it a try. The machine I'm using came with very mediocre integrated graphics so the first thing I did was bought and installed a new graphics card (Sapphire HD 4650 512MB DDR2 HDMI DVI VGA Out PCI-E) which worked great and really brought my frame rate up across the board. Currently I have the active monitor connected to the video output on the PCI-E card so the only real option for the second monitor was to connect it to the default VGA which results in the second monitor just showing the orange power light rather than green which I always took to mean standby. Do I need to buy a second graphics card to feed the other monitor or is their some simple switch I'm missing that allows it to read the old VGA out? Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1 OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 Processor Count: 2 RAM: 4094 Mb Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series , 512 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 601688 MB, Free - 504046 MB; M: Total - 102398 MB, Free - 75370 MB; Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K83V0, A00 , ..CN7509303800BE. Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled

2. Hydrohs

Hydrohs

You can't use both your HD 4650 and your integrated graphics at the same time. However your 4650 has both VGA and DVI adapters on it, so you can plug two monitors in to it that way.

3. Mairin

Mairin Thread Starter

Thank you so much, can't believe it was such a simple fix. I overnighted a DVI cable and now everything is up and running and working great =)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice