1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 won't install any drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Irukku, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Irukku

Irukku Thread Starter

Hello,

I just tried installing Windows 7 in my brand-new computer (specs are right there in the above icon). And I had so much trouble I had to switch back to XP. Here's what happened:

1. Windows wouldn't install any drivers, install utilities would just stop. No freezes, no crashes, no events to be viewed, nothing, it would just stop and stay there for as long as I waited (up to half an hour) apparently waiting for something.

2. Upon restart, everything seemed to work fine except for my keyboard and mouse. I could see the text input bar blinking, my keyboard caps lock and mouse optical light were lit, but there was no response from the devices. When restarting again in safe mode, they got back to work, and restarting yet again in normal mode they were magically working again.

3. I interrupted the install utilities, and after the restarts, the device drivers were apparently installed, but the devices wouldn't work. For example, my wireless device was there but wouldn't turn on (enable), and my graphics card wouldn't switch resolutions, it was like the actually installed driver was Windows' default standard graphics, and just the name had been changed in the device manager.

I tried disabling and restarting every service that seemed relevant to me (windows installer, module installer, driver installer and a lot of other crap), but nothing worked.

Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor? What does it say about compatibility?

Did you check on your computer (or motherboard) manufacturer's site for drivers? Were there Windows 7 drivers? Or Vista?

3. Irukku

Irukku Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, Terry. :)

Here's what the Advisor says, differently from "listed as compatible"... :(

802.11 USB Wireless LAN Adapter
    Encore Electronics Inc.

Action recommended
    Before installing Windows 7, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows 7, install the saved driver.
    [​IMG]
    Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection
    Intel

Unknown
    We don't have compatibility information about this device.
    [​IMG]
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    NVIDIA

Unknown
    We don't have compatibility information about this device.

Could it be that my PC is not supported by Windows 7? I've had that wireless device installed with my old PC on Windows 7 flawlessly, so I believe it is not the problem. As for the other device drivers, the manufacturer (EVGA/Intel) provides me with Windows 7 WHQL drivers.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It seems that Windows 7 has the correct drivers, or generic ones that will at least partially work, for almost all XP and later hardware, but apparently not for yours. If you are going to try again I suggest having your chipset, networking, and all other drivers you might need already downloaded, and then try to install those (beginning with the chipset).

5. Irukku

Irukku Thread Starter

Yes, but I had all the updated drivers with me and tried installing the chipset drivers prior to anything too, and I had the same problem: while installing, the utility would keep filling the progress bar endlessly. Maybe if I uninstalled whichever drivers the O.S. installed during the setup program... would that be possible?

On a side note: I tried both 64 and 32 bits versions and it was exactly the same.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You should be trying 32- or 64-bit drivers depending on the version of Windows you installed. Other than that I don't know what to do. Somebody else will probably know some "tricks" to try.

7. Irukku

Irukku Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the support. It turns out that my wireless card's driver was causing the system to freeze. I had to remove it and then install Windows.

Back to wired network for a while... xD

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good find. :) Thanks for reporting back.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice