1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows 7 won't load, can't enter BIOS mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thozeyes, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thozeyes

thozeyes Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop about 3 years old. Running Windows 7, Intel Pentium chip. Last night I was watching a video online when the computer froze up completely and started beeping repeatedly. I held the power button down for 4 to 5 seconds to turn off the computer because the mouse was frozen in place. When I tried rebooting, the system powered on but Windows would not load. I repeated the hard turn off and turned the computer back on but I was met with a black screen (I tried this about 10 times before giving up). The monitor did give a message that it was not receiving anything from the computer system.

This morning I turned on the computer and Windows loaded and the desktop came in but the mouse was frozen. I again had to hold the power button in for 4 to 5 seconds to turn off the system. When I turned the computer back on I was met with a totally black screen.

When I try going into BIOS I can not enter BIOS mode.

I have unplugged the entire system for a minute or more to see if that would reset the system but it didn't help. I did some reading online and thought I might have to switch out the CMOS battery but I haven't had any trouble with my computer clock going wonky on me.

About 4 to 6 weeks ago the computer crashed 2 or 3 times but each time I could reboot it successfully but it would be a little iffy so I took to putting the computer into sleep mode most of the time to avoid turning it off and on as much as possible. I would reboot the whole system about once a week.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as it's the start of the weedend which means I can't find a service person. I work from home on my computer so I'm in a real jam!!!! Many thanks in advance...

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With the system OFF, open the case and do the following;
    1 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Remove any add-in cards such as sound, nic, etc. Leave your video card installed [if used]
    3 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    4 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace the jumper to the keep position.
    5 Now attempt to pw ON and see if the mb will complete POST [ie you see post data on the screen]

If it does work in the above config, then shutdown and connect devices one at a time until you find the failed device.
    If it does not post, then you are going to have to swap parts with known good units; ie pw supply, ram, mb, etc. Start with the pw supply since it is the easiest to install.

3. thozeyes

thozeyes Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I familiarized myself first with your instructions so I knew what I was doing once I opened up the tower. First I decided to switch out the CMOS battery because that was the simplest thing to do. Next I powered up the computer and Windows 7 loaded normally. The system did a Restore and now my computer is working perfectly. I cannot believe something so simple cleared up the problem. I will never be this lucky again!!!!!! Thank you again. I'm printing out your instructions should I have problems in the future.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

HINT. Look at the lights at the back of the machine. They usually indicate the error.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. For future reference, you can mark your own thread as solved using the solved button at the top of the page. I will mark this one solved for you.

6. thozeyes

thozeyes Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice